UC Davis’ hard hitter

UC Davis men’s baseball currently holds a respectable 20-13-1 regular season record and are in the middle of the pack in the Big West with a 4-5 conference record.  A steady and successful offensive strategy has been critical to the team’s early success.  With a confident overall team batting average of .287, it is clear that UC Davis has found an answer against their opponents.  Hard hitters are scattered all over the Aggie lineup, but one player in particular has been a shining example of what UC Davis offense is all about.

Senior catcher Izaak Silva has been hitting hard and making plays this season.  Contributing a .364 batting average to the team, his play is an undeniably major part of the current winning record.

A communications major from California town Soquel, Silva started his baseball career at a very young age.

“One day my Dad came home and he told my mom he signed me up from little league and from there on I fell in love with it.  It’s a very complex game compared to other sports and that’s what I love about it.  You tend to fail more than you succeed but the times you succeed feel that much better,” Silva said.

After playing more and honing his abilities, it was clear to Silva and those around him that he had a talent to be a catcher. Catcher, one of the most demanding position in baseball, requires quick reflexes, a smart mind and good instincts.  The man behind the plate is the foundation of the defense and generally a big contributor to the offense.  A catcher’s success is critical to the entire team and Silva’s contributions during his time at UC Davis cannot be understated.

“In little league, there weren’t a lot of kids that wanted to do it,” said Silva about his introduction to the position. “I could do it well and my Dad, who was my coach at the time, put me back there.”

Playing as catcher for the Soquel High Knights, Silva batted averages higher than .400 in both his junior and senior year and was selected as a four-year All Santa Cruz County Athletic League Honoree.

In his first three years as an Aggie, Silva batted a steady .250 average.  He has continued his dominance into his senior year by being selected as the Big West Hitter of the Week for the first time.  Recently, in a loss to Cal State Fullerton, Silva blasted his first career home run, adding to his already strong baseball resume.

“It means the world to me,” said Silva about being an Aggie.  “This organization offered me a place to go to school and get a great education.  We have a rich history here with a lot of great players that have come before me and a lot of players that still care about this organization.  Every time you put on that jersey you really want represent this school well.  It’s not just playing for yourself and I think this team does a good job embodying this school and what it means to be an Aggie.”

After two straight losses to Cal State Fullerton, the Aggies hope to break their skid with an upcoming home game against the University of San Francisco.  They will then take a 3 game conference road trip to UC Irvine where they hope to improve their current Big West record.

Designed by Jennifer Wu.