Tuesday, May 7, 2024

This week in men’s sports

Men’s sports action from April 13 to 19

Baseball (21-16-1):
UC Davis vs. University of San Francisco (L, 9-4)

UC Davis @ UC Irvine (W, L, L)

The slide continues for UC Davis baseball after a 1-4 week, having now won only three of its last 12 games. The first loss of the week came at home against the University of San Francisco. The game was tight for the first few innings, but the Dons brought in seven runs over the last four innings while holding the Aggies scoreless over that time. UC Davis had only four hits in the game.

After their loss to the Dons, the Aggies managed to steal the first matchup of a three-game road trip at UC Irvine. Senior Spencer Koopmans pitched his first career-complete game, allowing three runs and seven hits. The second game of the trio was also close, with the Anteaters sneaking by in extra innings after an Aggie error in the 12th. The final contest saw UC Davis once again fall to a late run, unable to answer a late point scored in the eighth inning.

Tennis (16-5):
UC Davis @ UC Riverside (7-0)
UC Davis @ UC Irvine (1-6)

After playing their final match at home, the Aggies set off to Southern California to face the Anteaters and Highlanders. The first matchup, against UC Riverside, was an easy warm-up for the Aggies as they lost just one match en route to a 7-0 victory. UC Davis lost one doubles match, but swept the rest.

With the win against UC Riverside, the Aggies clinched at least a share of the Big West Regular Season Championship, but needed to defeat UC Irvine for the outright crown. Instead, UC Davis struggled heavily and was able to capture one point due to sophomore Jesse Ross’ singles victory. The Aggies now hold the second seed in the Big West Championship Tournament because the Anteaters captured the tiebreaker.

Track and Field:
Azusa Pacific Bryan Clay Invitational
Mt. Sac Relays

Long Beach State Beach Invitational

With three events stretched over three days, Aggies’ track and field divided and conquered. The Azusa Pacific Bryan Clay Invitational did not bring a lot of positive results for UC Davis as junior Cody Nguyen was the top finisher at No. 70. At the Long Beach State Beach Invitational, only senior Nathan Strum was able to finish within the top-10 of his respective event, garnering a No. 3 place in the 800-meter. Sophomore Marc Toney added a No. 13 place finish in the pole vault.

Several Aggies found success at the Mt. Sac Relays. Toney added to his successful week, grabbing a second-place finish in the pole vault. Junior Trevor Halstead finished No. 6 in the 5000-meter, while junior Jason Chandler completed the 400-meter hurdles in 52.62 seconds for ninth place. After a busy week, the Aggies have six days off before heading to Berkeley for a two-day meet.

Graphic by Andrew Li.