This week in women’s sports

Women’s sports action from April 13 to 19

Lacrosse (3-12):

UC Davis vs. USC (L, 15-5)
UC Davis vs. San Diego State (L, 12-9)

With a recent two game winning streak on their minds and four straight games at home, the Aggies looked to turn around a poor start to the season with a few victories. The results, however, were not there and UC Davis has now lost three straight games at home. The Aggies started off strong against USC, jumping out to a 4-1 lead. By halftime, however, the Trojans were up 7-4 and never looked back en route to a 15-5 victory. Junior Ellie Delich and sophomore Courtney Neff finished with two goals each in the game.

After the loss against USC, the Aggies were faced with a must-win situation against San Diego State if they wanted to make the Conference tournament. UC Davis, however, came out flat and allowed their opponent to rack up a 10-4 halftime lead. The second half comeback fell short for the Aggies despite four goals in the game by Neff. UC Davis will have its last home game on Wednesday against Stanford.

Softball (17-22):

UC Davis @ UC Santa Barbara (W, W, W)

Things are looking up for UC Davis softball after winning four of their last five games. The Aggies faced off against the Gauchos on a Picnic Day double header and won each. The first matchup was tight until the last inning when UC Davis batted in six runs and a UCSB comeback fell far short. The second game of the day told a similar story as the Aggies used a four-run sixth inning to jump ahead for the one point victory.

Six runs in the first four innings of the final game was all that it took for UC Davis to take home a sweep of the Gauchos. The Aggies finished with 10 hits in the game and sophomore Andrea Reynolds finished with the win, bringing her to a 4-1 record this season. The team has four more games on the road before returning home to face CSU Fullerton on May 2.

Tennis (11-11):

UC Davis vs. UC Santa Cruz (W, 7-0)

The Aggies used a dominant performance against the visiting Banana Slugs to finish the season at .500. The team won every set played against UC Santa Cruz, losing a total of 13 games between nine matches played. The team also honored senior Layla Sanders who played her last day at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.

With the win, the Aggies now move on to the Big West Conference Championships at Indian Wells. The matches start on April 24 with UC Davis facing off against UC Santa Barbara first. These two teams last faced one another on March 8, with the Aggies losing 3-4 at home.

Track and Field:

Azusa Pacific Bryan Clay Invitational
Mt. Sac Relays

Long Beach State Beach Invitational

At the Azusa Pacific Bryan Clay Invitational, the Aggies were unable to make a dent on the leaderboards as no participant finished within the top 15 of their respective event. At Mt. Sac, several seniors owned the day. Senior sprinter Ashley Marshall won the 200 meter sprint while senior Raquel Lambdin finished in first in the 800 meter. Junior Erika Barr added a sixth place finish in the 400 meter hurdle and senior Katie Barber grabbed an eighth place spot in the high jump.

At the Beach Invitational, only Barber was able to finish within the top-25 of her event. The senior finished in a tie for ninth place in the high jump. After a hectic week, UC Davis track and field will have six days off before competing in the Brutus Hamilton Invitational.

Water Polo (18-12):

UC Davis vs. Sonoma State (W, 10-1)

UC Davis vs. CSU Monterey Bay (W, 10-6)

With the Big West Championships closing in, UC Davis women’s water polo finished their regular season with two victories in a Picnic Day double header. The No. 9 ranked Aggies faced off against Sonoma State in the first bout, easily winning 10-1. Eight Aggies scored in the game, allowing just one goal that came in the final period.

The second game of the day, against CSU Monterey Bay, was much closer as the teams headed into halftime tied at four apiece. After the break, the Aggies didn’t look back as they outscored their opponent 3-0 in the third quarter. With the two wins, UC Davis finished the season 11-2 at home and in fourth place in the Big West. The Championships begin on Fri., April 24 in Honolulu, Hawai’i.

Graphic by Andrew Li.