News in Brief: Growing up at Third Space

Author reading sponsored by LGBTQIARC at Third Space

Certain writers are often said to be the voice of a generation or the voice of a certain community. These people are said to speak to the experiences of the common people. Michelle Tea, author of the book How to Grow Up, is one such voice for the LGBTQIA community of San Francisco. Erica Lorraine Scheidt, an alumna of the UC Davis creative writing program, is also an advocate and strong voice for this community. Scheidt and Tea will come together to give a reading tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Third Space.

The UC Davis English department is putting on the event with the sponsorship of the LGBTQIA resource center.

Tea will be reading from her book How to Grow Up, while Scheidt will be reading from her novel Uses for Boys. Tea’s book is about the trials and tribulations of her own youth. She is living proof that it is possible to persevere through difficult situations and become successful doing what she loves.

Scheidt’s book is a fictional tale full of love, loneliness, some coming-of-age debauchery and much like Tea’s book, centers on the challenges of growing up.

Sarah Murray, a first-year in the creative writing masters program, is organizing the event. She explained the important role that San Francisco plays in Tea’s writing.

“[The book] is a memoir. [Tea] tends to write a lot from personal experience and a lot of her novels in the past have been revolving around San Francisco,” Murray said. Murray also emphasized the supportive atmosphere present at these readings.

“There’s a certain level of camaraderie and respect when you go to readings, it doesn’t matter who it is, it’s just enjoyable to go and have that experience,” Murray said.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.