Campus updates, reaffirms Principles of Community

On April 28, a reaffirmation ceremony was held for the Principles of Community in the Vanderhoef Studio Theatre at the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts.

The principles were created in April 1990 and have seen revisions in 1996, 2001, 2008 and 2010. Campus organizations such as the academic senate, Early Outreach Program, Affirmative Action Diversity Committee, UC Davis Medical Center, ASUCD and other groups came together to write the principles over an 18-month process.

In the most recent revision, the Principles of Community Reaffirmation Committee came together to get feedback and input from UC Davis students, faculty and staff. The committee worked on revising the principles in a way that it believed would continue to be relevant and best suited for the current student body.

“The UC Davis in 2015 is not like the UC Davis in 1990,” said Associate Executive Vice Chancellor Rahim Reed at the event. “We are a much more international community. We have grown to appreciate the multiplicities that people have,” Reed said.

Reed, along with Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Ralph J. Hexter, the Council of Deans and Vice Chancellors as well as the entire senior leadership team were asked to sign the principles document. The public was welcomed to sign the document at the reception after the ceremony.

“The document will serve us as long as people are inspired by it,” Reed said. “As long as people are inspired to reach for the aspirational values that are embedded in the document it will remain live, it will remain well and it will serve us well.”

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.