Wednesday, May 1, 2024

News in brief: La Raza Cultural Days celebrates 46th annual week of events

Last week, the La Raza Cultural Days (LRCD) committee and the UC Davis Cross Cultural Center came together to present the 46th annual La Raza Cultural Days on campus.

The theme this year was “nuestros desafios fortalecen nuestra Resistencia,” which translates to “our struggles empower our resistance.”

Events started on April 27, with a kickoff flash mob on the Memorial Union patio. Event planners played music by Hispanic artists, such as Elvis Crespo and Juan Gabriel, to showcase the variety of dance styles and songs within the Latino/a community.

Delta Xi Phi multicultural sorority held a talk titled “Diversity in Spanish.” Francisco Gomez, a fourth-year animal science and management major and the inaugural student assistant to the vice chancellor of Student Affairs, spoke at the Student Community Center on educational rights for the Hispanic community.

On Tuesday, Hermanos Macehual, a Latino student group that provides academic and social support to UC Davis students, hosted a Danza Azteca workshop, which taught the origins, elements and deities of Danza Azteca ceremonies and engaged in the preservation and passing of sacred traditions.

The Department of Chicano/a Studies on campus gave a talk about Chicano/a Studies graduate school opportunities, and the Latino Fellowship organization held a program focusing on how faith and resistance are intertwined in light of recent events in the community and across the United States.

Sigma Lambda Gamma National sorority and Sigma Lambda Beta International fraternity also held “Zumba 101” to end the night.

On Wednesday, the Chicano/a Studies symposium held a discussion on Central America and cultural identity formation. Fraternities including Nu Alpha Kappa and Sigma Omega Nu held hosted a number of talks as well.

Thursday began with a youth conference held by Mujeres Ayudando La Raza, an organization focused on helping Hispanic females working within academia.

The Center for Health & Environment and Clinica Tepati held a talk titled “Nuestra Cultura Nuestra Salud,” which focused on health within the Latino community, and the Student Recruitment and Retention Center hosted an event titled “Queer Latinidad,” which celebrated the intersections of queer and Chicanx/Latinx identities.

On the evening of April 30, Gamma Zeta Alpha hosted “Noche de Estrellas,” which allowed students to showcase their talents and advocate their cultural pride.

On Friday, the Student Recruitment Center and the LRCD Planning Committee hosted the first “Comida, Cultura and Communidad,” a gathering for attendees to eat different Latino cultural foods. There were also talks held by Sac Girls Speak and Sigma Alpha Zeta.

On Saturday, the week ended with the 25th annual Cuauhtemoc 5/10k Run hosted by Movimiento Estudiantil Chican@ de Aztlan (M.E.Ch.A), a nonprofit student organization that strives for political, social and educational consciousness and equality. The funds raised went towards their Oscar E. Gomez Scholarship, a scholarship that helps graduating high school seniors pursue a higher education.

Later that day, the LRCD committee, Danzantes del Alma de UC Davis and the UC Davis Cross Cultural Center presented the 46th annual La Gran Tardeada and the 38th anniversary of Danzantes del Alma. The daylong event for the Chicano/a community had food, tradition, music and dance in order to celebrate all the intersections of the Hispanic identity. There were a variety of performances, food booths and activities for children. The night ended with a live performance by musical artist Raskahuele.

Graphic by Jennifer Wu.