ArtsWeek: This week in local arts

COURTESY / SICKSPITS
SICKSPITS / COURTESY

Your weekly dose of art and culture

International Festival Davis 2015

Oct. 4, noon to 5 p.m., Free

Central Park

The 5th annual International Festival, hosted by International House, comes to Davis on Sunday, Oct. 4. Join this celebration of diversity that includes live music, entertainment and much more for the whole family.

TEDxUCDavis: Exploring Human Data

Oct. 3, 10 a.m. to noon, $10 for students and $12 for non-students

Varsity Theatre

Come out to the first TEDxUCDavis talk of the year, which will feature four speakers and two performers who will explore the concept of human connectivity.

UC Davis’ 6th Annual Brewfest

Oct. 10, 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., $36-40

Aggie Tailgate Field

UC Davis will host its very own Oktoberfest prior to their game against Northern Arizona! This event will feature 50 craft breweries and over 90 different breweries from throughout the United States. Must be 21 years or older.

MUSIC AND OPEN MICS

UC Davis Symphony Orchestra: “Rising Stars of Opera”

Oct. 4, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Free

Jackson Hall, Mondavi Center

Come out to the Mondavi Center to enjoy an evening of the “Rising Stars of Opera,” which will include the UC Davis Symphony Orchestra, directed by Christian Baldini and the San Francisco Opera Adler Fellows.

SickSpits October Open Mic Night

Oct. 7, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Free

TCS Building/Art Annex

After a summer hiatus, SickSpits is back! Come down to the Art Annex on Oct. 7, bring some friends and either participate in the open mic or simply enjoy the work of your peers.

LITERATURE

Author Event— A Jann Plan with Gregg K. Jann

Oct. 4, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., Free

The Avid Reader

Join the Avid Reader in welcoming author Gregg K. Jann, who will be discussing his newest collection of essays, A Jann Plan: Creative Origins Advocacy/Teach Peace and Creative Accountability. Jann’s previous book, Bettering the World, is a collection of essays on philosophy and political science.

ART

Joseph Finkleman Gala and Opening Reception

Oct. 4, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Free

Gallery 1855

Gallery 1855 will be hosting a special artist reception for Joseph Finkleman, who is known for his photography and for designing the Davis Cemetery Arboretum. Light refreshments will be served and there will also be a live music performance from Joaquin B. Feliciano.