This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics action Oct. 5 to Oct. 11

UC Davis men’s soccer (6-6-1)

UC Davis vs. CSUN  (T, 1-1, 2OT)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (W, 2-1, OT)

It has been an exciting start to Big West play for the Aggies; they currently hold a positive 2-1-1 conference record. It was overtime madness this past week, as both games were forced to go over regulation. Against California State University, Northridge, the Aggies battled hard but were unable to break the tie. Strong defense from UC Davis helped the Aggies avoid adding a conference loss to their totals.

It was a different story against UC Irvine. A clutch goal by UC Davis in overtime sent the Anteaters on a very long return trip home.

A big conference match at home against Cal Poly awaits the Aggies on Wednesday.

UC Davis women’s volleyball (9-11)

UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara (W, 3-0)

UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton (W, 3-0)

A week of wins was earned by the UC Davis women’s volleyball team. After struggling throughout the season, the Aggies came out with a renewed confidence for conference play and have shown complete dominance in recent games.

Despite facing a top-tier team in UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis showed no fear, played with confidence and busted out an incredible sweep.

This no-fear attitude persisted as they continued their sweep-streak with an impressive win against Cal State Fullerton. The Aggies were able to confidently send Fullerton packing in three straight sets.

UC Davis will hit the road and continue their conference matchups with a game against Hawai’i on Friday.

UC Davis men’s tennis

UCSB Classic

It was a great weekend for UC Davis men’s tennis as they took a road trip south to compete in the UCSB Classic.

Juniors James Wade and Alec Adamson were stars of the weekend, each obtaining a flight A singles victory. Adamson currently leads the team with six wins in eight matches played.

Starting Oct. 22, the Aggies will head to Seattle, Wash. for the much-awaited Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northwest Regionals.

UC Davis field hockey (7-9)

UC Davis vs. UMass-Lowell (W, 3-2)

It has been a tough season for UC Davis field hockey, and their struggles have continued into conference play. Currently standing at 0-3 in the conference, the Aggies are desperately trying to turn things around. After coming off a two-game losing streak, UC Davis returned home to face UMass-Lowell in a non-conference game.

It was a close match that concluded with a strong 3-2 win for the Aggies. They have three more conference matchups remaining in their season, starting with Pacific on Sunday.

UC Davis women’s soccer (8-5-2)

UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton (L, 1-0)

UC Davis vs. UC Riverside (L, 3-1)

A successful series for the UC Davis women’s soccer team has led to a rather disappointing start to conference play. Two consecutive losses against Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside leaves the Aggies with an early 1-2-1 conference record.  Fortunately, it is not the end of the world and the team did show promise in their last two games.

Despite showing promise in their last two games, their finishing ability was challenged in a close game against Fullerton. The Aggies could not strengthen their defense and allowed three goals through against UC Riverside.

UC Davis will return home for another conference matchup against UC Santa Barbara on Sunday.

UC Davis women’s tennis

Saint Mary’s Invitational

The Aggies started a three-day tournament on Oct. 9 in Moraga, Calif. for the Saint Mary’s Fall Invitational. Many seeded opponents were present at this invitational but the Aggies declined to show any fear.

Freshman Isabella Von Ebbe was the story of the weekend after she survived semifinal and finals matches to take home the Singles C Main Draw Championship.

Women’s tennis will begin the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championship on Oct. 23.