This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Recap of athletics action from Oct. 12 to Oct. 18

UC Davis athletics from Oct. 12 to Oct. 18

Men’s golf

Alister MacKenzie Invitational

At the 2015 Alister MacKenzie Invitational, senior Patrick Soli of the UC Davis men’s golf team finished with a tie for eighth place in the first day of competition. The following day, Soli made a great finish and tied for 10th place overall. The next top finisher for the Aggies was senior Luke Vivolo, who tied for 47th place in the tournament.

Overall, the Aggies placed 14th as a team, just trailing behind Oregon State. This was the last event of the fall season for men’s golf team. Their spring season will start up again in early February 2016.

Men’s soccer (7-6-2)

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (W, 3-2 OT)

UC Davis vs. Sacramento State (T,1-1 OT)

A thrilling match that pitted the Aggies against the Cal Poly Mustangs played out on the Aggie Soccer Field. The Mustangs were coming in with six straight wins and a ranking of No. 24 in the nation. Freshman defender Roy Boateng gave the Aggies an early lead, scoring two goals a mere eight minutes apart in the first half of the game, but Cal Poly rallied back in the second half with two equalizers. Just five minutes into overtime, senior midfielder Lucas Mohageg broke through and headed in a shot from sophomore midfielder Evan Barrett to make the score 3-2, a win for the Aggies.

The much-anticipated game between rival schools came to a head on Saturday afternoon. With an audience of almost a thousand people, the Aggies found themselves with an early lead when sophomore midfielder Miguel Acevedo scored his first career goal in the opening half. A quick response from the Hornets just eight minutes into the second half tied the game, and after two overtimes the game ended in a draw.

Women’s volleyball (9-12)

Women’s Volleyball Davis at Hawaii (L, 3-0)

The Aggies were up against the University of Hawai’i Wahine on Oct. 16 at the Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu. Although they made great strides offensively, with junior outside hitter Kendall Walbrecht posting 11 kills and freshman opposite hitter Nicola Moore with six, the Aggies still fell in three sets, 25-14, 25-12 and 25-17.

Upcoming games will be at UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton on Oct. 23 and 24.

Men’s water polo (12-6)

UC Davis vs. Santa Clara (W, 15-10)

UC Davis vs. Concordia (W, 20-7)

Playing against Santa Clara, the Aggies overcame a 7-4 deficit early on for a 15-10 win at the Schaal Aquatics Center. Freshman utility Sasa Antunovic made five goals: three in the second frame, one in the third and one in the fourth. Hat tricks from senior utility Sean Grab and redshirt freshman Riley Venne solidified the Aggies’ win.

The men’s water polo team once again secured a victory at the Schaal Aquatic Center in a non-conference match on Oct. 18. The Aggies outscored Concordia of Irvine 20-7, indicating a great offensive game as well as strong defense, especially from sophomore goalkeeper Spencer Creed, who made five saves in the first quarter.

The men’s water polo team will next play on Oct. 24 in a tournament hosted by Santa Clara.

Football (1-6)

UC Davis at N. Colorado (L, 56-27)

A historic day for senior Brady Stuart as he tied former Aggie kicker Eddie Loretto’s (1985-1988) record of 47 kicked field goals. Despite this, Northern Colorado was able to post a 56-27 victory that afternoon.

UC Davis returns to the Aggie Stadium on Oct. 24 as they face off against Southern Utah.

Cross Country

Santa Clara Bronco Invitational

Cross Country NCAA Pre-nationals

At the Baylands Regional Park in Sunnyvale, Calif., 8k and 6k races commenced on a rain-dampened course. Top finishers for the Aggies included sophomore Luke Dorman in the 8k and freshman Natalie Cooper in the 6k.

There was a strong showing at the Cross Country NCAA pre-nationals in Louisville, Ky. this weekend, with seniors Erika Barr and Trevor Halsted finishing fourth and second place, respectively. A total of seven runners placed in the top 50: seniors Nick Ratto, Amar Dholakia and Jordon Rushing for the men;seniors Katie Fry and Christine Hoffman and juniors Nicole Lane and Rianna Goins for the women.

Women’s soccer (8-6-2)

UC Davis vs. UCSB (L, 2-1)

Despite an early 1-0 lead for the Aggies, goals from UC Santa Barbara in the 35th and 87th minutes meant a tough loss. Junior forward Andi Damian was able to intercept a ball from a counter-attack and launch it into the goal just 18 minutes into the game. The second half remained goalless until the last minutes of the game, when the deciding goal from UCSB made the score 2-1.

The Aggies will play at home for their Senior Game against Hawaii on Thursday.

Field hockey (7-10)

UC Davis at Pacific (L, 4-2)

UC Davis fell 4-2 to the Pacific Tigers on Sunday. With Pacific starting out strong with two goals in the first ten minutes, junior forward Danielle Koehne scored the first Aggie point to make the game 2-1. Senior midfielder Jamie Garcia scored the second point at the 56th minute, but the Aggies were ultimately unable to convert their subsequent shots into goals. Pacific ended the game by making a goal with just one minute left in the game.

The field hockey team will travel to Stanford on Friday  before returning home a week later.

Women’s golf

Stanford Intercollegiate

The Aggies tied for seventh place at the Stanford Intercollegiate women’s golf tournament, with standout senior Andrea Wong claiming three birdies in the first 18 holes. The tournament features six top ten teams and four top five in the nation. The tournament will continue on to Tuesday, to conclude the women’s fall schedule.