This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics action from Oct. 19 to 25

Football (1-7)

UC Davis vs. Southern Utah (L, 34-6)

The Aggies lost a frustrating game after holding Southern Utah to seven points in the first half. A forced fumble helped the Thunderbirds increase their lead and win the game.  Senior kicker Brady Stuart broke the record to become the Aggies’ all-time leader with 48 career field goals.

Check out a full recap of the game by sports reporter Veronica Vargo here.

Men’s soccer (7-8-2)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (L, 2-1)

UC Davis at Sacramento State (L, 1-0)

The Aggies and Gauchos played an aggressive match that churned out 29 fouls and six yellow cards. UC Davis was down to UC Santa Barbara early on, but a goal by junior defender Steven Guzman brought the game to a tie. UC Santa Barbara gained the lead once more after converting a penalty kick to a goal. Despite the Aggies’ push for an equalizer, the Gaucho goalkeeper denied each attempt, securing the win for UC Santa Barbara.

UC Davis was down early in the Causeway rematch as Sacramento State scored in the ninth minute of the game. The Hornets managed to hold off the Aggies’ attack for the rest of the match, handing them a loss as they head into the final week of the regular season. Freshman Kristian Heptner led the Aggies with four shots on the goal.

UC Davis plays at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona on Oct. 28 and then plays UC Santa Barbara again at Aggie Soccer Field on Oct. 31 for their last game of the regular season.

Men’s tennis

USA/Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northwest Regionals

The five-day ITA Northwest Regionals were cut short for the Aggies as they fell in their final matches at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash. The Aggies had a spirited run throughout the tournament, but were ousted in a round of 32 for singles and a round of 16 for the doubles. Junior Alec Adamson and senior Brett Bacharach endured losses to Pacific-12 opponents.

UC Davis closes its fall season between Oct. 30 and Nov. 1 at the three-day Pacific Tiger Invitational in Stockton, Calif.

Men’s water polo

UC Davis vs. Brown (W, 9-6)

UC Davis vs. Bucknell (W, 12-4)

UC Davis swept Saturday’s games of The Rodeo men’s collegiate water polo tournament at Sullivan Aquatic Center. Freshman utility Ido Goldschmidt and sophomore utility Cory Laidig each scored two goals in the victories over Brown. The Aggies then led for the entire game over Bucknell, preventing the Bison from scoring until just before the half. Redshirt freshman Brock Gordon came out and scored three goals in the second half to guarantee the win for the Aggies.

UC Davis plays Fresno Pacific on Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. at the Schaal Aquatics Center.

Field hockey (7-11)

UC Davis vs. Stanford (L, 5-1)

UC Davis fell short in their quest to defeat Stanford at Friday night’s America East Conference. Junior forward Danielle Koehne scored the Aggies’ single goal and was the only answer given to Stanford’s onslaught. Senior midfielder Jaime Garcia recorded a team-high, with two attempts on the goal.

UC Davis returns to Aggie Field Hockey Facility on Oct. 30 for its final regular match of the season against UC Berkeley. Fans are encouraged to arrive early to help celebrate the graduating seniors.

Women’s golf

Stanford Intercollegiate hosted by former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (Sixth Place)

The three-day Stanford Intercollegiate hosted by Condoleezza Rice at Stanford Golf Course saw the UC Davis women’s golf team receive a sixth place finish, its second highest result of the season. The Aggies finished with a team score of 875, only five points behind Georgia. Junior Paige Lee finished tied for 11th and senior Andrea Wong tied for 17th.

The golf team will next play in the Peg Barnard Invitational in Stanford, Calif. on Feb. 13 for a two-day tournament.

Women’s soccer (9-6-2)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (W, 4-0)

An exciting match gave the Aggies a win over Hawai’i last Thursday. Senior midfielder Haley Hughes scored 18 seconds into the match to start the Aggies lead early. Check out a full recap of the game by sports reporter Julia Wu here.

The women’s soccer team travels to Long Beach State this Thursday and UC Irvine on Nov. 1 as they continue their hunt for one of the four spots in the postseason tournament.

Women’s tennis

USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships, hosted by Stanford

Sophomore Lani-Rae Green and junior Samantha Martino defeated the duo from Sacramento State to advance to the main draw’s Round of 16. Senior Tiffany Pham, Green and freshman Kelsie Bryant all advanced to the Round of 32.

The USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships continues in Stanford until Tuesday.

Women’s volleyball (10-13)

UC Davis at UC Riverside (L, 3-2)

UC Davis at Cal State Fullerton ( W, 3-0)

For the first time in nearly four years, UC Davis lost to UC Riverside in a stunning match last  Friday. The final set included six lead changes as both the Aggies and Highlanders looked for the win. This marks the first time UC Davis has lost to UC Riverside since a 3-0 road sweep back on Nov. 5, 2011. Senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres totaled 20 kills while junior outside hitter Kendall Walbrecht added 11 kills.

The Aggies came back and dominated over the Titans to sweep Cal State Fullerton 3-0 on Saturday night after a tough loss the night before. The Aggies were neck and neck with the Titans in the first two sets and broke away for the third, never looking back as they ended the night with sets of 25-18, 25-23 and 25-14. Squyres had 14 kills and Walbrecht 9, while freshman blocker Kelechi Ohiri attacked with 7-for-16 for the night.

UC Davis returns home and will play Cal State Northridge on Thursday and Long Beach State on Saturday at the Pavilion.