This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Aggie athletics action from Nov. 9 to Nov. 15

Men’s basketball (1-1)

UC Davis vs. North Dakota State (L, 79-71 (OT))

UC Davis vs. Portland (W, 79-66)

Starting off their season with three home games, the men’s basketball team took to the court on Nov. 13 against North Dakota State. Though the Aggies led 69-60 with two minutes left in the game, North Dakota tied it up, forcing the game into overtime where they overpowered UC Davis 79-71. This ended a 14-game winning streak from the previous season.

Read a recap of the game by sports reporter Aaron Sellers here.

Two nights later, UC Davis defeated Portland 79-66 after putting a powerful defense and an unrelenting offense onto the court. Junior guard Brynton Lemar put up 18 points and senior forward Josh Fox scored 15 for the night. Junior guard Darius Graham and sophomore center Nolan Berry were close behind with 12 and 10 points, respectively.

The men’s basketball team will play Fresno Pacific on Nov. 18 at 7 p.m. in their third straight home game.

Women’s basketball (0-1)

UC Davis vs. Stanford (L, 74-45)

Following a victorious exhibition game against Humboldt, the UC Davis women’s basketball team officially started their season with a game against Stanford in a double header that followed the men’s basketball home opener.

The Aggies remained extremely close to Stanford in terms of scoring for the first two quarters; the Cardinal only led with 29-24 going into the half. However, the third quarter is when Stanford took off and sealed the outcome of the game by scoring 31 points, only allowing the Aggies to put eight points on the board. The fourth quarter was more evenly played, but the damage was done.

The Cardinal took the game 74-45.  

Read a full recap of the game by sports reporter Lindsay Yim here.

The Aggies will play in the Pavilion tonight at 7 p.m. against Pacific.

Men’s cross country

NCAA West Regionals (13th place finish)

In a competition at the NCAA West Regionals on Nov. 13, the UC Davis men’s cross country team ran hard in their 10-kilometer race, coming in at 13th place out of 30 teams. A time of 31:47.0 gave senior Halsted a 27th place finish; he was followed six seconds later by classmate Amar Dholakia (31:53.7) in 34th. The remaining three scorers for the men’s team  seniors Cody Nguyen (33:04.8), Nick Ratto (33:39.1) and freshman Jordy Ceja (33:44.9) finished within 45 seconds of one another.

The complete results for the meet can be found here.

Women’s cross country

NCAA West Regionals (15th place finish)

Traveling to Seattle with their male counterparts, the women’s cross country team placed 15th in their 6-kilometer race in a field of 35 teams. Out of the Big West schools competing, UC Davis came in second behind Cal Poly, who finished two spots ahead of the Aggies.

The seniors were the top-three finishers for UC Davis. Erika Barr finished 27th individually with a time of 21:16.5, Christine Hoffman trailed Barr by 20 seconds, crossing the line at 21:36.6 for 52nd place and Katie Fry came in 13 spots later with a time of 21:46.9. Redshirt junior Nicole Lane (22:18.1) and junior Rianna Goins (22:33.8) were the final two scoring Aggies for the race.

Football (1-9, conf. 1-6)

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (L, 55-38)

In the final home game of the season, the UC Davis football team played a high-scoring game against the Cal Poly Mustangs. Barely two minutes into the game, both teams had put points on the board, and by halftime Cal Poly had scored five touchdowns to UC Davis’ two, leading into the third quarter 34-14.

The Aggies forced two fumbles in the second half, leading to additional touchdowns. Their momentum carried them within reach of the Mustangs as UC Davis trailed 41-38. With a little under three minutes left in the game, Cal Poly scored the last touchdown to bring the final score to 55-38.

Senior wide receiver Alex Cannon had the best game of his career with 122 total yards gained and six catches, while sophomore safety Darryl Graham had 14 tackles another career high. Another Aggie with a career best was sophomore tight end Nolan Tooley, who gained 70 yards and scored a touchdown.

This gives UC Davis a conference record of 1-6 and an overall record of 1-9.

Men’s soccer (8-10-3, conf. 3-4-3)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (L, 1-0)

After advancing to the Big West Semifinals with the defeat of CSU Northridge on Nov. 7, the men’s soccer team faltered against UC Santa Barbara late in the game, eventually losing 1-0. The majority of the match remained scoreless, largely due to the consistency of the defense on both teams.

UC Davis had six shots versus UC Santa Barbara’s 10, and senior goalkeeper Kris Schultz made three significant saves before the game was out.

The soccer team’s season ends with an overall record of 8-10-3 and a conference record of 3-4-3.

Volleyball (13-15, conf. 8-6)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (L,3-1)

In their second-to-last home game of the season, the UC Davis volleyball team lost to the Hawai’i Rainbow Wahine after playing four sets, 23-25, 25-17, 25-22 and 25-17. Freshman libero Malia Bolko led both teams with 23 digs, and senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres claimed 19 kills. Though facing a team that had a 22-1 record heading into the game, the Aggies put up a strong fight and made the Wahine earn their win.

The volleyball team travels to UC Irvine on Nov. 21 for their penultimate game of the season.

Written by Bryan Sykes – sports@theaggie.org