This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from Nov. 16 to Nov. 22.

Men’s basketball (2-1)

UC Davis vs. Fresno Pacific (W, 76-46)

The men’s basketball team crushed Fresno Pacific in their third home game, as their defense stopped the Sunbirds from making any significant gains. Despite 22 turnovers and 13 steals by Fresno Pacific, superior play by UC Davis led to a 76-46 win. Read a full recap by sports reporter Veronica Vargo here.

Men’s basketball will make the short journey to Sacramento State for their first away game on Tuesday, Nov. 24.

Football (2-9 overall, 2-6 conf.)

UC Davis at Sacramento State (W, 35-21)

In the last game of the season, the UC Davis football team took down the Sacramento State Hornets 35-21 in the 62nd annual Causeway Classic match-up. Redshirt freshman C.J. Spencer threw over 300 yards for his second game in a row for three touchdowns. Three juniors excelled in the rivalry game: for a career high, running back Manusamoa Luuga rushed 117 yards, wide receiver Chris Martin claimed 115 yards and linebacker Brady Stibi had a career-high 10 tackles.

Men’s water polo (18-8, conf. 6-0)

WWPA Championship at U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado

UC Davis vs. Cal Baptist (W, 14-13)

UC Davis vs. UC San Diego (L, 6-5)

For their first match of the WWPA Championship, the men’s water polo team beat Cal Baptist in a 14-13 victory. Freshman attacker Ido Goldschmidt led the team by a wide margin with seven goals, leading all players by at least four.

Falling 6-5 to UC San Diego in the WWPA championship match, the Aggies end their season with a perfect conference record. Sophomore goalkeeper Spencer Creed had 11 saves for the game, and five of his teammates were able to score against the Tritons.

Women’s basketball (1-2)

UC Davis vs. Pacific (L, 66-53)

UC Davis vs. San Diego State (W, 65-54)

The women’s basketball team lost their second official game of the year after playing Pacific on Nov. 16. The lack of a strong offensive presence denied UC Davis the win, though they ultimately were defeated 66-53 on their home court. Check out sports reporter Veronica Vargo’s recap here.

Three days later, the team traveled to San Diego State where they nearly flipped around the score from the previous game. UC Davis played a good defensive game, defeating the Aztecs by 11 points for a 65-54 win.

The Aggies play Air Force at home on tonight at 6 p.m.

Women’s swimming and diving

Phill Hansel Invitational (Third of 10)

Wildcat Diving Invitational

In the Phill Hansel Invitational, the women’s swim team finished third in a field of 10, behind Rice and Tulane Universities. The Aggies took home the medal for the 400-yard free relay, and a school record was set by freshman Solie Laughlin in the 200 back.

For the divers at the Wildcat Diving Invitational, senior Lucy Lafranchise placed 11th in the platform finals with a score of 181.45, and went on to win the 1-meter dive consolation final (269.80).

The Aggies begin the three-day AT&T Winter Nationals on Dec. 3 in Federal Way, Wash.

Volleyball (14-15 overall, 9-6 conf.)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (W, 3-2)

A five-set win advances the Aggies’ conference record to 9-6, after scoring 25-23, 16-25, 25-18, 15-25 and 15-9 against UC Irvine. Senior outside hitter Kaylin Squyres hit 21 kills for the match, junior outside hitter Kendall Walbrecht had 12 and sophomore middle blocker Aima Eichie claimed 11.

In the concluding match of the season, the UC Davis volleyball team will return home to play Cal Poly tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Written by: BRYAN SYKES – sports@theaggie.org