This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from Nov. 23 to Nov. 29

Men’s Basketball (3-2)

UC Davis at Sacramento State (L, 84-79)

UC Davis at Utah Valley (W, 82-70)

History was made away from home as senior forward Josh Fox added 18 rebounds to the game against Sacramento State the most rebounds by any UC Davis player in Division I history while also adding 16 points for his second season double-double. Junior guards Brynton Lemar and Darius Graham also managed to put up career high scores with 21 and 17 points, respectively.

Despite the Aggie’s strategic play against the Hornets, they were left with their second loss of the season, in an 84-79 defeat.

The Aggies upset the Utah Valley Wolverines by scoring the final 12 points in the match and causing them to put up four turnovers in the process. Five Aggies put up double figures against Utah Valley to dominate the game, leaving the Wolverines to howl with anger for their first home loss.

The men’s basketball team will rematch Sacramento State at the Pavilion on Wednesday night at 7 p.m.

Women’s basketball (4-2)

UC Davis vs. Air Force (W, 66-40)

UC Davis at  Portland State (W, 82-70)

UC Davis at Portland (W, 72-47)

The women’s basketball team took an early lead against the Air Force to win the game and irritate the Falcons. Senior forward Alyson Dougherty celebrated her birthday by leading the Aggies with 18 points to contribute to the 66-40 win.

See a full recap of the game by sports reporter Veronica Vargo here.

Against Portland State, Doherty led three Aggie teammates in double figures with a team high of 22 points and 10 rebounds. The Aggies added 26 assists on 33 makes, a season high, while sophomore guard Dani Nafekh added eight for her career high. The Vikings were no match for the UC Davis offense when 20 turnovers turned into 19 points for an Aggie win of 82-70.

Ten Aggies put up at least two points in the game away against the Portland Pilots to shoot 50 percent from the field. Doherty led her team once more during the game and is expected to become the 17th Aggie to reach 1,000 career points in the next match-up against St. Mary’s on Thursday. UC Davis maintained a lead with a gap that the Pilots could not bridge for the 72-47 win.

Volleyball (15-15 overall, 10-6 conf.)

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (W, 3-1)

The last game of the year drew in the season-best home crowd as outside hitter Kaylin Squyres and middle blocker Jillian Johnson said farewell in the Senior Night proceedings. The volleyball team defeated Cal Poly in four sets, going 23-25, 25-11, 25-22 and 25-22 to end their season with a 10-6 conference record.

See a full recap of the match by sports reporter Julia Wu here.

Written by Veronica Vargo – sports@theaggie.org