Women’s holiday recap

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

Athletics action from Nov. 29 to Jan. 3

Women’s Basketball (7-6)

UC Davis at Portland (W, 72-47)

UC Davis at Saint Mary’s (W, 78-71 OT)

The Aggies’ victory against Portland on Nov. 29 marked their fourth consecutive win of the season. They continued that streak at Saint Mary’s, where an overtime triumph was led by sophomore forward Pele Gianotti’s 26 points and a staunch Aggie defense that reduced Saint Mary’s shooting to just 27 percent.

UC Davis vs. Cal State Monterey Bay (W, 91-36)

UC Davis vs. Sacramento State (L, 92-77)

A breezy game against Cal State Monterey Bay on Dec. 6 gave UC Davis its sixth consecutive win, but the streak was ended by a visiting Sacramento State a week later. Despite a career high performance from redshirt freshman forward Morgan Bertsch and double-digit scoring from 10 other teammates, the Aggies were unable to close their deficit and fell 92-77 to the Hornets.

UC Davis vs. Albany (L, 80-70)

UC Davis vs. Florida A&M (L, 61-58)

Next, the women’s basketball team travelled to the Galen Center in Los Angeles to compete in the Women of Troy Classic. They fell to Albany, 80-70, on the first day, despite three Aggies shooting double figures. The loss moved them to the consolation bracket, where they were pitted against Florida A&M. The Rattlers outshot the Aggies 36-31 at the end of the first half and maintained the lead to the sound of the final buzzer.

UC Davis at Utah (L, 88-58)

UC Davis at Utah Valley (W, 59-55)

At Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Dec. 29, the Aggies were unable to keep the Utes at bay and fell for the fourth consecutive time. However, they managed to turn it around with a win two days later against Utah Valley and ended the year with an overall record of 7-6.

The women’s basketball team will next play at home on Saturday, Jan. 9 against Hawai’i at 2 p.m.

Swim and Dive

AT&T Winter Nationals

UC Davis sent its four best swimmers to the AT&T Winter Nationals, held from Dec. 3 to 5 at Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Wash. The three-day event began with promising starts from freshman Solie Laughlin, who qualified for and finished seventh in the 400 IM “C” final with a time of 4:56.70, and junior Elise Roberts, who posted her fastest time in the season so far in the 100 breast (1:13.57). Senior Hailey Ferko placed 70th in the same event and junior Hilvy Cheung placed 42nd in the 100 fly, coming in at 1:02.08.

Laughlin rounded off the tournament with a fourth place finish in the “C” final of the 200m backstroke with 2:15.29. Cheung finished 37th in the 200 butterfly (2:17.97) and Roberts placed 61st in the 200 breaststroke (2:41.71).

The women’s swimming and diving team has two upcoming home meets, hosting Fresno State on Jan. 8 and the Aggie Open the following morning.  

Written by: Julia Wu – sports@theaggie.org