Monday, April 22, 2024

Aggie Style Watch: L.A. vs. Bay Area fashion

WENDY LIU and MARIANA RAMIREZ / COURTESY

Investigating the difference between NorCal and SoCal style.

Though both are within the same state, the Northern and Southern regions of California sometimes feel like different planets. These two regions have their own distinct weather, music and culture, so it’s only natural that they have distinct fashion senses as well.

After growing up in Los Angeles and attending college in Davis, I noticed firsthand the differences between L.A. and Bay Area fashion. I interviewed two college students to get their insights on L.A. and Bay Area fashion and see how they feel they fit into these categories.

Mariana Ramirez, a second-year political science major at Santa Monica College, reflects on L.A. fashion and how she represents one of its many sides. Wendy Liu, a second-year art studio major at UC Davis, comes from San Francisco and illustrates the style of the Bay Area through her fashion choices.

ASW: What does L.A./Bay Area fashion mean to you?

MARIANA RAMIREZ / COURTESY
MARIANA RAMIREZ / COURTESY

Ramirez: I think L.A. fashion is very distinct when it comes to winter and summer. In L.A., there is about one month of winter and the rest is all

summer. I think it’s very unique. There is a lot of Hollywood influence. It is either very minimalist or very extravagant. Either you fit in or you completely stand out.

Liu: To me, Bay Area fashion means being able to wear what you want with confidence regardless of judgement. In a way, it is making something kooky cool.

ASW: Where does your style fit into this?

Ramirez: I like to be extravagant and I like to be noticed for what I’m wearing.

Liu: I don’t really catch up with every trend but my fashion fits in with the Bay Area in that I dress to keep warm and wear what I want to fit my sense of identity.

ASW: Do you think there are differences between L.A. and Bay area fashion?

Ramirez: I think so because the weather is different so I feel that [in the Bay Area] they have more room to experiment with long coats, sweaters and turtlenecks. It’s only 65 degrees here in L.A. and I already look ready to go to the snow or something. I think the biggest difference is that [Bay Area fashion] is more winter-oriented.

Liu: The biggest impact is the weather. I can walk around in shorts or a T-shirt sometimes but I am always carrying a jacket or sweater.

DIMITRA LOUMIOTIS / AGGIE
DIMITRA LOUMIOTIS / AGGIE

ASW: Is style important to you?

Ramirez: It is. I do my best when I feel good about what I’m wearing. If I don’t like what I’m wearing, I know it is not going to be a good day. It’s my security blanket.

Liu: Yes, style is important to me. I think it reflects my mood, and the better I feel that day, the more effort I will put into my outfit. Or if I’m feeling dull, I’ll try to dress up to feel better.

ASW: Do you have any fashion inspirations?

Ramirez: Amal Clooney. Not only is she a powerful lawyer, but I think her style is very classy. She can settle a lawsuit while wearing Prada and I think that’s amazing. She’s my idol.

Liu: Most of my inspiration comes from friends of mine who just look awesome.

ASW: Do you have any advice for anyone who is trying to build their own sense of style?

Ramirez: I don’t think I’m [qualified] to give anyone style advice. It all comes from how comfortable you feel. When I started dressing more for myself than for other people I felt comfortable and found my style. I guess it’s about — and it’s cheesy, I know — finding what makes you feel like you.

Liu: Don’t be afraid, mostly. Wear what makes you feel your best.

WRITTEN BY: Dimitra Loumiotis – arts@theaggie.org