Ask Katehi: A college newspaper is for students, by students

katehi_opAggies, I wanted to start off by welcoming you back to campus and wishing you a Happy New Year! In today’s Ask Katehi column, I will answer a question posed to me by the Aggie Managing Staff:

What do you see as the role of a printed newspaper in a college setting?

A student newspaper, whether published in a print or digital format, is a vital part of student expression and The California Aggie has been part of campus life at UC Davis since 1915. On a college campus like UC Davis, a student newspaper offers students a forum to write and think about events and issues of interest and importance to them. A campus paper like The Aggie can also serve as a valuable learning laboratory for students interested in journalism and public affairs.

As its readers are aware, The Aggie is not the only newspaper to make the shift from print to an online format. Newspapers throughout America are increasingly moving away from print and toward an online presentation. There are many reasons for this, including economics and the fact that we live in a world of instant communication where digital dissemination of news is far more efficient and timely than doing so via print.

But in the end, because The Aggie is a student publication managed by students and serving students primarily, I believe decisions about how the paper is published are best left to our students through ASUCD.

As always, you can email me your thoughts and questions to askkatehi@ucdavis.edu and I will try my best to answer you in my Ask Katehi column.

Connect with me on social media; visit my FacebookTwitterInstagram ,Google+YouTubeLinkedIn profiles or my Huffington Post Blog