Miyamo and ShopCuffs open stores in Downtown Davis

Store fronts of new Davis clothing shops, Miyamo (left) and ShopCuffs (right). (ANGELICA DAYANDANTE / AGGIE)

Your clothing funk is over: two new clothing stores open in Davis.

In December, the clothing boutique Miyamo opened its doors in its brand-new Davis location, followed by ShopCuffs, which opened its second store in January.

Miyamo, located on G St., is the second Miyamo store owned by Becky Anderson; her first is in Napa, which has been open for a little over 11 years.

“We just decided to finally take the plunge and open a second one,” Anderson said.

As a UC Davis managerial economics graduate, Anderson strives to keep prices low and often rotates inventory.

“Almost everything is retailed for under $100, at least half of the store for under $50, we have jewelry for $12,” Anderson said. “We really focus on trying to keep our price points low. We only get like six of anything of our clothes and everything is in two of a size.”

Anderson also brings in local artists for her store.

“As the store progresses, we’d love to have Davis artisans in here,” Anderson said.

ShopCuffs, another new clothing store in Davis located at 231 3rd St., also advertises clothing at an affordable price.

“I feel like most of the boutiques are pretty high end and I really felt there wasn’t something geared toward students,” said ShopCuffs owner Lacadia Johnson.

Johnson, who went to high school in Davis, moved to Sacramento after college and opened the first ShopCuffs store.

“Getting back to Davis now that we’ve been setting up the shop, I’m reminded of how awesome it is,” Johnson said.

Her Sacramento ShopCuffs location has been open for 10 years, but Johnson explains that she has wanted to come back to Davis for a long time, believing that more affordable shops are needed.

“Davis has some retail, it has got some shopping. I feel like most of the boutiques are pretty high end,” Johnson said. “[ShopCuffs’ style is] young contemporary but with more of an eclectic edge.”

ShopCuffs employee and second-year textiles and clothing major at UC Davis, Bridgett Medeiros, agreed that the change in retail is much needed in Davis.

“Everything in Davis is either overpriced or it’s just not that cute,” Medeiros said. “I was really excited [about the store] because this is the first time that I saw cute, affordable clothes.”
Written By: Samantha Solomon – city@theaggie.org