A fairytale dream come true

KATIE LIN / TELEMARK
KATIE LIN / TELEMARK

Telemark’s Annual Ball: Before the Clock Strikes 12

Tele-MARK the date, because the Telemark Dance Troupe’s annual ball is on Feb. 6! Telemark is a performance-based dance group on campus featuring various styles of dancing and genres of music. This year, the theme of the ball is “Before the Clock Strikes 12,” inspired by the fairy tale “Cinderella.”

Attendees are encouraged to dress up like princes and princesses or their favorite fairytale character, and there will be a costume contest with prizes. There will also be a dance contest featuring three Disney songs from different musical genres. The contest will be judged by a professional dance choreographer, and prizes will be awarded. Telemark will be tabling at the Memorial Union starting Feb. 1, where you can vote on songs for the competition.

With three beginner lessons — waltz, salsa and swing — the club is encouraging all skill levels to attend the ball. When asked who they hope will attend the event, co-presidents Bailey Matthews, a fourth-year forensic chemistry major, and Kimmy Nguyen, a fourth-year neurobiology, physiology, and behavior major, both laughed and said “Everyone!” According to Matthews, “the event is for anyone who has ever wanted to learn how to dance.”

Ringo Sanchez, a former Telemark member and class of 2013 alumnus, described his experiences attending Telemark’s prior balls.

“[The balls] are always fun with all sorts of music and dancing,” Sanchez said. “You shouldn’t be intimidated if you don’t know how to ballroom dance as there are plenty of people who do and are willing to teach you, along with actual lessons going on at the ball.”

The annual ball is an effort to raise funds for the Telemark Dance Troupe’s spring showcase, where the dancers will perform the choreographed routines they have practiced throughout the year. It is also an opportunity for people to get involved in the dance community and with Telemark.

When asked why she joined the troupe, Nguyen said that she had always had a desire to dance.

“I was a really big fan of Dancing With the Stars,” Nguyen confessed. “I liked dancing, but I never had the opportunity because lessons are expensive.”

Nguyen encourages anyone with a similar desire to dance to attend the ball or join Telemark.

“You don’t have to be dancer. If you just want to dance, then this is a great place for you!” Nguyen said.

The Telemark Dance Troupe’s annual ball “Before the Clock Strikes 12” will be on Feb. 6 from 8 to 11 p.m. in the ARC ballroom. Tickets are on pre-sale for $10 at the Memorial Union tables and are $12.50 at the door. For more information and to stay updated, check the Telemark Dance Troupe’s page on Facebook and Facebook event page.

Written by: Sofie Bates — slbates@ucdavis.edu