ASUCD to host Student Appreciation Week in honor of 100th anniversary

ASUCD's Block Party on Feb. 19, 2016 takes place on the quad. (NICKI PADAR / AGGIE)
ASUCD’s Block Party on Feb. 19, 2016 takes place on the quad. (NICKI PADAR / AGGIE)

Association to hold events throughout next week celebrating clubs, professors and students

From Feb. 16 to 19, ASUCD will host Student Appreciation Week in honor of its 100th anniversary. ASUCD is hosting the series of events in order to give back to the community and showcase the clubs and activities that make up UC Davis.

“ASUCD doesn’t do enough to celebrate its students and our executive administration wanted to change that,” said first-year undeclared student Daniel Nagey, the ASUCD Executive Office director of programs. “Both ASUCD and students alike have failed to recognize that students are the lifeblood of our association. Without them we would be nothing. Therefore, we wanted to host events on a wide scale that would both benefit the students and pique their interests.”

Every day of the Student Appreciation Week, ASUCD will host different events on the Quad, each day with its own unique theme and activities.

To kick off the week, Tuesday’s theme will be “Celebration of Clubs.” Throughout the day, many clubs will be hosting games and activities such as dart board games, dance workshops and food demonstrations. There will also be other activities such as a potato sack race and balloon toss to win prizes.

Feb. 17 will be “AS(YOU)CD: Nourishing the Student in You.” Students will have the opportunity to grab coffee with their favorite professors at the ASUCD Coffee House (CoHo). There will also be a mini panel with graduate students to talk about their experiences and give students tips on success in the CoHo.

Feb. 18 will be “Keys to Success by ASUCD,” an ASUCD formal with alumni and keynote speaker Caliph Assagai, who served as ASUCD President from 2006 to 2007. The event will include a buffet and silent auction to raise money for ASUCD scholarships.

Feb. 25 will be an  “ASUCD Block Party” with activities similar to The Buzz. Students can expect inflatables, a laser tag arena, face painting, cotton candy and popcorn machines, a giant slide and a mechanical bull. There will also be performances by Davis acapella groups and a presentation by the ASUCD Senate to encourage people to vote that week in the ASUCD elections.

“We worked really hard on this event and we tried to assure students got the most out of it,” said Julienne Correa, a second-year psychology major and a member of the Executive Office volunteer staff who is helping organize the block party. “We want students to know what ASUCD has done for the school. Students should really come out and enjoy the activities.”

So far, public opinion for Student Appreciation Week seems to be positive, especially for Friday’s block party.

“I’m really excited,” said Karen Parga, a third-year biological sciences major. “[It] sounds like a great way to encourage students to reach out to professionals in various fields of study.”

For more details and a full list of events, visit the Student Appreciation Week’s Facebook page.

Correction: Due to the rain, the ASUCD Block Party was moved from Feb. 19 to Feb. 25. 

Written by: DEMI CACERES – campus@theaggie.org