This week in women’s sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from Feb. 29  to March 6

Women’s basketball (17-12)

UC Davis at Long Beach State (L, 74-64)

UC Davis at UC Irvine (W, 76-70)

Redshirt freshman forward Morgan Bertsch finished with her ninth 20-point game of the season, and senior forward Alyson Doherty finished with seven points to move her to seventh place on the school’s all-time scoring list. Long Beach State won after shooting 48 percent while UC Davis shot 41 percent for the game.

After the win at UC Irvine, Doherty finished with 15 points on the game to move into sixth place on the all-time scoring list. Sophomore guard Rachel Nagel and freshman guard Kourtney Eaton each added ten points.

UC Davis earned a bye for the first round in the Big West Conference Tournament and will play the highest remaining seed on Wednesday.

Softball (8-13)

UC Davis at Sacramento State (W, 1-0)

UC Davis at Sacramento State (L, 5-2)

Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament (L, 4-2; L, 5-4; L, 1-0; L, 17-3; L, 9-1)

Picking up 19 days after the game officially started on Feb. 12, UC Davis hit a single through the middle infield to win the game 1-0.

The Causeway Cup was run by the Hornets 5-2. The Aggies were able to cut the Hornets’ lead to two runs but were unable to defeat Sacramento State. A sacrifice fly by sophomore infielder Ashley Lotoszynski pulled the Aggies within two but they were unable to score the rest of the game.

UC Davis played against CSU Bakersfield in the Stacy Winsberg Memorial tournament in Northridge, Calif. The Aggies had a 2-0 lead until the final two innings, when CSU Bakersfield scored three in the sixth and another in the seventh to beat UC Davis 4-2. The sixth-inning scoring by the Roadrunners could have led to more but senior pitcher Leah Munden was able to get the final out with bases loaded.

The Aggies then faced Charleston Southern and took an early 3-0 lead after having eight batters go in the first inning. UC Davis then committed an error in the first which Charleston Southern took advantage of to score two unearned runs. After a wild pitch, the Buccaneers were able to get two runs across the plate and took the lead. UC Davis was unable to get the lead back and fell 5-4.

Syracuse and UC Davis had four scoreless innings before the Orange were able to score a run to take the lead and the game.

Later in the day, UC Davis played Florida State. The Aggies scored three in the fourth inning but the Seminoles scored in every inning. Florida State defeated UC Davis 17-3 in five innings.

UC Davis played UCLA and fell 9-1 at the Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament.  The Aggies had the lead early on, but UCLA had a six-run fourth inning to help them capture the win. Freshman infielder Meghan Bradbury, junior utility Taylor Peters and senior Kalia Olson recorded the three hits of the game for UC Davis.

The Aggies next play at the Aggie Invitational on March 11.

Women’s tennis (5-8)

UC Davis at Long Beach State (L, 4-0)

UC Davis at UC Riverside (W, 7-0)

The Long Beach State 49ers took the win in both the doubles and singles matches to defeat the Aggies 4-0 on Saturday. UC Davis bounced back when they faced UC Riverside and took the win on all three doubles and all six single matches for a 7-0 victory.

The Aggies next play against Eastern Washington on March 22 at home.

Women’s track and field

UC Davis at UC Berkeley (First place finish)

The Aggie women scored 177.5 to win over Long Beach State, who came in second with 162.5, and UC Berkeley who came in third with 161. UC Davis won seven events on their way to winning the Cal Opener.

They will compete next at the Aggie Open on March 11.

Water polo (12-8)

UC Davis vs. UC Berkeley (W, 8-6)

UC Davis stunned in an 8-6 victory against UC Berkeley to win their first game against the Golden Bears. The Golden Bears had a chance to make a comeback but the Aggies’ defense came to the rescue to keep the lead. Junior utility Hannah Harvey scored three goals for the Aggies and junior utility Bryn Lutz scored two goals, one of which was the winning goal with 2:19 left to play.  The game on Sunday at CSU Monterey Bay was cancelled due to inclement weather.  

The Aggies play next on March 11 against Azusa Pacific and Hartwick.

Written by Lindsay Yim – sports@theaggie.org