Spring will be Sprung on April 9

NITESHADE and NATIONAL ENTITY / COURTESY

First-ever local EDM show provides a space for bass connoisseurs in the Davis area

Sprung, an electronic dance music (EDM) event featuring music, vendors and performers, is set to stir up the Davis music scene on Saturday, April 9 at the Odd Fellows Hall. This concert marks the first time an EDM night of this size has taken place in the Davis area, allowing students and locals to enjoy a concert close to home. The promoters of Sprung describe the event as “a conscious gathering for the bass connoisseur” and expect to see a high number of UC Davis students at the event.

Sprung is the result of a collective effort from various Davis community members, namely two local companies: Niteshade Nights and National Entity. Niteshade Nights is an event company founded by Aaron Huitt, a fourth-year English major. Huitt said that he had been hoping to create a local event of this kind for some time, and had always been planning on collaborating with National Entity.

“I told [Niteshade Nights] that my life’s goal in the industry is to use everything I’ve learned and bring a solid, legit, consistent event to Davis, to build a scene from the ground up in my hometown,” Huitt said. “Our events are for students, by students […] everyone involved. If we want this scene then it’s up to us to build it together.”

National Entity is a production company based in Davis that specializes in lighting and sound. Adam Peterson, the company’s founder, will be providing high-level audio equipment and lighting.

“National Entity is planning on bringing a small LED video wall, some ambient lighting, and sufficient sound reinforcement for those bass-heavy lows,” Peterson said.  “It will definitely be something that you don’t see everyday in this area.”

Champagne Drip, a tropical/future bass producer whose EP “Radio Bikini” was released by Mad Decent in 2014, will be headlining the event. He is well-versed in the EDM scene and has been producing and performing for over 10 years.

“I’m focused on bringing jazzy tropical vibes to bass music, incorporating Hip-Hop, Jungle and Footwork as a foundation,” Champagne Drip said. “I am aware of a lot of the history in dance music since I’ve been at it for over a decade, but I’m not interested in sounding too similar [to] anyone else, so I draw inspiration from artists outside of my genre, such as Phil Collins, Debussy and many many more.

Sprung is, at its core, a local event; all of the other performers are Davis locals, and some are students. Odd Fellows Hall will provide a small and intimate venue for event-goers, promising to be a space for fans to experience the camaraderie of larger events within the comfort of their own community.

The concert is currently sold out. More information on the event can be found at their Facebook event page.

WRITTEN BY: Sara Williams – arts@theaggie.org