UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine ranks no. 1 in world for second consecutive year

DON PREISLER / SCHOOL of VETERINARY MEDICINE / UC DAVIS

UC Davis recognized for strides in veterinary science

For the second year in a row, UC Davis clinched the title of the world’s number-one university for veterinary sciences.

Rated by QS World University Rankings, UC Davis edged out Cornell University for the top spot in the field. Criteria for this ranking is based on a scored compilation of academic reputation, employer reputation and citations per paper and h-index citations, which is the amount of times a UC Davis paper is cited by another scholarly article.

“The people and programs of the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine are dedicated to providing innovative and compassionate clinical care, making groundbreaking discoveries and teaching the next generation of leaders in veterinary medicine,” said Michael Lairmore, the school’s dean since 2011, in a press release. “This recognition is also a reflection of the dedication of our philanthropic partners who provide generous gifts that help fund novel research, improved facilities and student scholarships.”

The impressive rankings inspire the members at the veterinary school to maintain high standards of animal care and innovative research.

“This gives us an initiative to continue to push hard and keep the ranking,” said Dr. Julie Dechant, associate professor of clinical surgical and radiological sciences. “You don’t want to rest on your laurels.”

With over $70 million in research funding, UC Davis has been at the forefront of innovations in the field of veterinary sciences and boasts the nation’s largest veterinary residency program. The veterinary school has also pioneered several methods in the field, such as regenerative medicine, feline leukemia vaccines and animal DNA testing, among other research projects.

UC Davis’ veterinary school also founded the PREDICT program, the largest ongoing extramurally funded project in the history of UC Davis. PREDICT works to identify pathogens and viruses and their connections to wildlife and humans. So far, the project has discovered new pathogens which can be researched before they have a chance to affect the human population.

“[The veterinary school] has absolutely fantastic staff, educators students and everyone else at the school,” said fourth-year animal biology major Jade Peralta.

Part of what sets UC Davis apart from other universities is the One Health approach. One Health is a unique method that examines the link between animal welfare, humans and the environment. This creates a holistic approach that can encourage thinking on both a local and global scale.

“There’s such a diverse program, obviously intended to help locally in California, but also trying to make an impact elsewhere,” Dechant said.

UC Davis’ veterinary school continues to make strides in research and animal care, and its top program attracts graduate students and faculty alike. Peralta expressed her anticipation for committing to the UC Davis veterinary program for graduate school.

“I’m very excited, ecstatic and honored to contribute to the school’s success in the near future,” Peralta said.

Written by: Lindsay Floyd – campus@theaggie.org