Mako to headline Lawntopia concert

MAKO
MAKO

Entertainment Council hosts annual free concert to bring music, fun to Davis community

The ASUCD Entertainment Council (EC) will host its fourth annual Lawntopia concert on Friday, May 13 at 6:45 p.m. on the Quad. Lawntopia is a free event that is open to the general public. This year’s headliner is Los Angeles-based electronic duo Mako. Mako has played at multiple large-scale musical festivals and events such as Coachella, Lollapalooza and Electric Daisy Carnival.

“We wanted to find an artist who would be fun and upbeat, and still appeal to a larger audience,” said Megan Meza, the EC executive director and fourth-year psychology and communication double major. “They’ve also just released a new song so we felt it was the perfect fit.”

Mako will receive opening support from Sydewaze, a Bay Area based DJ duo. EC hosts free events like these in order to allow students who might not be able to travel to the Bay Area to experience fun musical events.

“It’s safe to say that Sacramento/Davis doesn’t have a music scene that’s close to comparable to San Francisco or Los Angeles,” said Rachel Myers, an EC executive intern and third-year global disease biology major. “Lawntopia is a way to bridge this gap and provide great entertainment for students without having to travel, especially if you don’t have a car.”

According to managerial economics major Tori Davis, Lawntopia will be featuring the Star Ginger and Pizza Guys food trucks this year which she hopes will add to the audience’s experience.

“For me, [Lawntopia] is an event that embodies what Spring Quarter represents: fun, great music, and a bit of freedom,” Davis said. “It’s great to see that the students and community really enjoy what Entertainment Council provides to the campus.”

WRITTEN BY: Jennifer Duong – arts@theaggie.org