DJ Sleepy Tom performs at UC Davis to help raise awareness for domestic abuse

THE MANC PHOTOGRAPHER / COURTESY
THE MANC PHOTOGRAPHER / COURTESY

Alpha Chi Omega hosts benefit concert

Want to help a good cause while attending an awesome EDM concert right here in Davis? On Saturday, May 21, Alpha Chi Omega (AXO) will be hosting its spring philanthropy event “Shatter the Silence: a Benefit Concert Featuring Sleepy Tom” at the Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) house.

Sleepy Tom, a rising Canadian-born DJ, has produced songs with Diplo, Zeds Dead and Martin Solveig amongst others, bringing his catchy, pop-style club beats to their tracks. He has been rising in popularity recently, with this date coming as part of his U.S.-wide tour, which also includes major cities such as San Francisco and New York.

The benefit concert is intended to raise awareness and support for victims of domestic violence and abuse. Although the members of AXO are incredibly excited for the event, they want to stress that it is a philanthropy event before a concert.

“I saw [Sleepy Tom] at an event on New Year’s Eve and thought he was a good up-and-coming DJ that had a respectful reputation and attitude toward women,” said Melissa Cayne, a third-year environmental science and management major and the event coordinator.

Cayne used Twitter as a networking tool to bring Sleepy Tom to UC Davis because she believes he will be a fun act that will attract many people to the event.

Each ticket costs $12, part of which will go to the Empower Yolo Women’s Shelter in Woodland, AXO’s local philanthropy. Of the total proceeds, $350 will go to Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment and about $100 will go to the AXO Foundation, which supports the national initiative and scholarships for financially dependent members.

“As a woman and a member of Greek life here at UC Davis, I am excited and proud to support the sisters of AXO and their charitable cause,” said Klara Wong, a third-year communication major.

To emphasize the philanthropy and educational aspect of the event, there will be interactive booths at the concert to inform attendees about the AXO’s philanthropies and how to assist survivors of domestic violence and abuse. The sisters of AXO will be handing out educational materials until Sleepy Tom performs.

“The most exciting part for me is working with everyone involved and being able to do it with my friends who have given me so much support. I want to have a successful event where everyone is safe and has fun,” said Kelsey Pitman, a third-year psychology major and member of AXO. “More significantly, I want everyone to take away how important [issues like] domestic violence and sexual assault are, and how many of our peers are really affected by it.”

The event will start at 2:30 p.m. at the AEPi house, located on 101 Russell Blvd.

“[AEPi] wants to pair up with [AXO] because we love them and we want to support our greek sisters in their effort to raise money against domestic violence,” said Jonah Korchin, a third-year political science major and a member of AEPi.

Tickets can be purchased from members of AXO and AEPi as well as at the MU tables. For more information, please visit the Facebook event.

Written by: Sami Bass – arts@theaggie.org