10 events happening in and around Davis this summer

ZHEN LU / AGGIE
ZHEN LU / AGGIE

The Aggie has got you covered on great ways to spend the summer in Davis

Staying in Davis during the summer? In addition to taking an extra class or two, you can also find a number of exciting activities to participate in around the city. Whether you like to spend time with your friends or you are looking for some alone time, there are plenty of things you can do in Davis and its surrounding areas this summer.

1. On a budget? Every Tuesday and Thursday from June 14 to Aug. 9, admission to Regal Cinema’s Summer Movie Express series in Downtown Davis is only $1. The series features family-friendly movies, with shows starting at 10 a.m.
  1. If you’re looking for some fresh, live entertainment check out the Sleeping Beauty Ballet by Applegate Dance Company. The show will run from June 23 to June 26 at Davis High School’s Brunelle Performance Hall, located at 315 W. 14th St. Tickets cost $17.50 at the door or you can buy them in advance at The Avid Reader Active for just $15.
  1. The 2016 Davis Shakespeare Festival will feature the plays Cyrano de Bergerac and Bells Are Ringing. The plays will take take place at the Veteran’s Memorial Theatre Thursday through Sunday from June 23 through July 31. Students pay $20 per ticket or $55 for a season ticket.
  1. Get acquainted with the local culture and attend the Yolo County Fair in Woodland. The fair will include a car demolition derby, a petting zoo, games and, of course, food. Admission is free for all attendees.
  1. Camp out at the Sacramento Zoo, take a nighttime tour and get an inside look at what animal life is like after hours. The Sacramento Zoo Family Overnight Safari runs on selected dates from June 11 to Aug. 5.
  1. Who can say no to all-you-can-eat Baskin Robbins ice cream and unlimited Coca-Cola beverages? The Sacramento Zoo also offers an Ice Cream Safari that takes place on Aug. 20 from 4 to 8 p.m. No additional fee is required for the Ice Cream Safari and regular admission to the zoo is $20 for adults.  
  1. Enjoy live music at the E St. Plaza in Downtown Davis during the Rock Band Camp Summer Concert at 5 p.m. on June 26. The event is put on by local performers who come together for one week to learn new music and then play their favorite tunes at a free concert.
  1. Grab a towel and meet some friends to cool off this summer by going for a swim in the UC Davis Rec Pool. With fewer students taking classes during the summer, you’ll be able to enjoy a less crowded pool. The Rec Pool is open Monday through Thursday from 1 to 6 p.m. and Friday through Sunday from noon to 7 p.m. Don’t forget sunscreen!
  1. Enjoy the Fourth of July Festival and Fireworks display at the Community Park. Picnic with friends and enjoy the live music before the fireworks show begins at 9:30 p.m. There will also be food and drink concessions to benefit Davis non-profit organizations.
  1. Downtown Sacramento can be your go-to destination this summer to hear free outdoor music from nationally touring acts and local artists. Concerts in the Park at the Cesar Chavez Plaza are held every Friday night during the months of June and July.