Sacramento Black Book Fair kicks off June 3

ANH-TRAM BUI / AGGIE
ANH-TRAM BUI / AGGIE

Black Book Fair showcases talent in the Sacramento region and beyond

The third annual Sacramento Black Book Fair kicks off on June 3, and will continue through the evening of June 5. The book fair originated as a feature of black literature throughout the African diaspora, and the majority of participating authors continue to be of African descent. This year’s book fair includes a variety of activities such as a panel discussion by four featured authors, book signings, vendors, childrens activities, poetry readings and more.

“[The book fair] is a showcase of black talent that often times is not known about or people only see it in a very narrow perspective,” said Faye Wilson-Kennedy, a planning committee member for the Sacramento Black Book Fair.

Wilson says that the purpose of the Black Book Fair is to demonstrate the breadth and depth of black literature.

The book fair will start at 6 p.m., with an opening reception hosted at Underground Books located at 2814 35th St. The next day begins with Books on Parade, a family-friendly walk around the neighborhood, which will be hosted at the McGeorge School of Law. Right after the parade is the Kids Zone, which hosts children’s activities such as storytelling, African drumming, music, art and games.

Concurrent with the Kids Zone are the book signings of featured authors and at 6 p.m., Denise Nicholas, screenwriter, actress and author, will be facilitating her first workshop. Nicholas will be offering the second part to her workshop the following day on June 5.

Attendees in the previous book fairs have said the event is fun for everyone, especially children. One attendee in particular, Kevin Ruyet, said it was enjoyable not just for him and his wife, but also for his three kids.

“The kids loved the children’s activities; they didn’t want to leave and we attended two book signings and a workshop. It was a great time,” Ruyet said.

One of the featured authors this year is Frederick Foote, a local author, UC Davis alumnus and retired attorney. Foote writes short stories, plays and poetry and has also published two books. He said that the entire program was created to spark conversation about topics and to showcase a variety of talent.

“We entertain the whole age range and the whole scope of interest in the writing community and people who are just curious,” Foote said.

Attendees can look forward to meeting featured authors as well as other local writers and engaging in discussion about many topics. The entire event is free of charge. For more information and schedules, visit the Sacramento Black Book Fair website.

Written By: Mashal Ayobi – city@theaggie.org