Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Letter from the Science Editor

BRIAN LANDRY / AGGIE
BRIAN LANDRY / AGGIE

After a two year hiatus, The California Aggie’s science and technology desk is back.

As the many of the world’s most powerful volcanoes lay dormant, so too did The California Aggie’s science and technology desk — until now.

My name is Ariel Robbins and I’m the science and technology desk editor helping to rise the science and tech desk up and out of the ashes.

Our university, a forerunning research institution, has had a newspaper devoid of a section that would cater to and publicize all of the scientific and technological feats UC Davis students, faculty and alumni have been accomplishing since March 2014.

Two years without a science and technology desk is two years too long.

As the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, the science and technology desk will be the powerhouse of the newspaper this year, and for many years to come.

Last week, you got a teaser of the content the science and tech desk will be churning out on a weekly basis. My team is coming at you laptop keyboards ablazing, and will keep you informed with the most honest, diverse and fair STEM-related news UC Davis has to offer.

I speak for myself and the reporters at my desk when I say that it is a pleasure to be back and providing UC Davis with the science and technological news it had been missing for so long. It’s an honor to write for and about such a dedicated, talented and unique student body.

If you are interested in writing for the science and technology desk we’re hiring! Fill out an application at vacancy.ucdavis.edu before Oct. 11.

Written by: Ariel Robbins — science@theaggie.com