Senate endorsements: consider the following

HANNAH LEE / AGGIE
HANNAH LEE / AGGIE

ASUCD’s Fall Quarter Senate elections begin next week. To help UC Davis students choose the most qualified students to represent them, the Editorial Board interviewed all 10 candidates. After asking a series of questions about their platforms and knowledge regarding campus issues and Senate itself, the Editorial Board chose to endorse three candidates. While the majority of candidates had good intentions, these three candidates had the most experience and specificity to their platforms as well as the wherewithal to complete them.

No. 1: Simran Grewal

As a neurobiology, physiology and behavior major, Grewal would bring an element of diversity to a Senate that is lacking STEM representation. Grewal, who currently serves as the vice chair of the Internal Affairs Commission, has the experience and passion to incite change. The Editorial Board is impressed by the level of detail in Grewal’s plans, which include increasing dietary diversity on campus and keeping the library open for 24 hours a day during finals week, as well as how informed she is about campus issues.

No. 2: Julie Jung

As the former junior chief of staff to ASUCD President Alex Lee and a current interim senator, political science major Jung has the knowledge and experience needed to achieve her platforms, including making ASUCD more accessible for international students. Jung, who chose to run in order to complete the platforms she started working on during her time on Senate this quarter, has detailed knowledge about the goings-on of campus and ASUCD as a whole. Additionally, the Editorial Board appreciates Jung’s commitment to increasing and expanding resources for ASUCD units.

No. 3: Daniel Nagey

Managerial economics and psychology double major Nagey has a passion for student justice that will make him an effective senator. He is invested in advocating for and destigmatizing mental health awareness on campus, increasing transparency from the administration and addressing food and housing insecurities for students. His awareness of issues that matter for students will help him make an impact on campus.

The candidates will debate on Monday, Nov. 7 from 12 to 1:30 p.m. at the CoHo.

The Editorial Board encourages students to vote at elections.ucdavis.edu. Voting is open Tuesday, Nov. 8 at 8 a.m. until 12 a.m. on Nov. 11.