Guest: Jewish Voice for Peace Davis stands in solidarity with Davis Islamic Center

HANNAH LEE / AGGIE
HANNAH LEE / AGGIE

In the wake of the heinous hate letter sent to the Davis Islamic Center on Saturday, Nov. 26, the Jewish Voice for Peace chapter at Davis expresses solidarity with Davis’ Muslim community and reaffirms our commitment to fight Islamophobia and racism.

As community members, and especially as Jews, we understand the gravity of such threats. This act of hate, as we well know, is not just an isolated incident, but a reflection of the unfortunate cycles of bigotry and scapegoating that befall those deemed as the “other.” By invoking the Holocaust as a threat against American Muslims the letter demonstrates that anti-Semitism and Islamophobia are joined at the hip.

We would like to reiterate the promise made by Jewish Voice for Peace on Nov. 9, following the election results: “To join with Muslim, South Asian, and other communities impacted by and organizing against Islamophobia, white supremacy, and anti-Arab racism.” We will not stand silent as our Muslim siblings are threatened with genocide.

We also call on our fellow Jews and Jewish leaders in Davis and in the region to take a strong stance against such vile bigotry. It should be made clear that when Jews declare “Never Again” we invoke a responsibility not simply to protect our own community, but to never let the horrors of prejudice befall anyone anywhere.

In Solidarity,

Jewish Voice for Peace Davis

Jewish Voice for Peace Davis is a student led organization that seeks an end to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem; security and self-determination for Israelis and Palestinians; a just solution for Palestinian refugees based on principles established in international law; an end to violence against civilians; and peace and justice for all peoples of the Middle East.