Last Week in Senate

HANNAH LEE / AGGIE
HANNAH LEE / AGGIE

New senators sworn into office

The ASUCD Senate held its weekly meeting in the Mee Room on the third floor of the Memorial Union on Thursday, Dec. 1.

Before the meeting a ceremony was held for senators who were terming out for the fall. Terming out senators included Josh Dalavai, Adilla Jamaludin, Parteek Singh, Julie Jung, Zheng Xu and Chase McFadden. The evening included farewell speeches followed by the swearing in of incoming senators.

The newly elected senators are Daniel Nagey, Jose Antonio V. Menenes, Anastasia Ruttkay, Matthew Yamaguchi, Simran Grewal and Julie Jung. Jung was an interim senator after replacing Senator Georgia Savage in October.

The senate meeting commenced at 7:20 p.m., with Senators Sofia Molodanof and Ruttkay absent.

The meeting began with a slew of appointments, including new roles for the Sexual Assault Awareness Advocacy Committee (SAAAC), the Environmental Policy and Planning Commission, the Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission and the Secretary of Outreach and Recruitment.

The first piece of legislation was Senate Bill #25, a bill to amend the structure and organization of the Aggie Public Arts Committee in order to better promote student art at UC Davis and in the city of Davis. The bill passed with a vote of 10-0-2. Senators Molodanof and Ruttkay abstained due to their absence.

The second bill of the meeting was Senate Bill #18, a bill to amend the 2016-2017 fiscal year Creative Media budget to create a project manager position. The bill will replace the former programmer position with a project manager who will serve as the primary contact for Creative Media project requests. The bill passed with a vote of 10-0-2. Senators Molodanof and Ruttkay abstained due to their absence.

The next item on the agenda was Senate Bill #28, which would allocate $1391.40 for custom t-shirts for the UC Davis Mental Health Conference. The bill was authored by Samantha Chiang, who is also the director and founder of the conference. After a lengthy discussion, the bill passed with a vote of 10-0-2, with Senators Molodanof and Ruttkay abstaining once again due to their absence.

After a 10 minute break, the second half of the meeting began at roughly 9 p.m. with a presentation by the Club Finance Council.

Shortly afterward, ex officio reports were announced and after a public discussion, the meeting adjourned.

Written by: Ivan Valenzuela — campus@theaggie.org