Support these organizations this holiday season

HANNAH LEE / AGGIE
HANNAH LEE / AGGIE

The Editorial Board’s favorite charities

In the spirit of the holidays, the members of the Editorial Board have listed some of their favorite charities and nonprofit organizations as a guide for your giving. Each group is dedicated to creating a more equitable and healthy society.

Read on for the organizations we recommend:

Scott Dresser — Editor in Chief

The Sierra Club

Of the many frightening, disheartening policy stances that President-elect Donald Trump has taken, perhaps the most devastating for the long-term sustainability of the country and the world is his position on climate change and the environment. He has falsely claimed that human-induced climate change is a hoax devised by China, promised to reject an international agreement to curb greenhouse gas emissions and chosen a climate-change denier to lead his Environmental Protection Agency transition team. The Sierra Club works to protect and restore the environment through educational programs, preserving wild spaces from development and leading the movement away from fossil fuel dependency.

Ellie Dierking — Managing Editor

The UC Davis Pantry

It’s easy to forget that there are peers among us who go hungry on a daily basis. Operating mainly on community donations, The Pantry is a student-run organization that aims to feed those who cannot afford basic necessities. The Pantry is located in 21 Lower Freeborn Hall, and is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Monday through Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m.

Alyssa Vandenberg — Campus News Editor

Room to Read

As college students, we are incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to pursue a degree. Room to Read helps millions of children in developing countries gain access to education. Through both its literacy and girls’ education program, Room to Read collaborates with local governments and communities, provides mentorships for students, donates school supplies and pays for other expenses like uniforms and transportation to schools.

Samantha Solomon — City News Editor

Days for Girls International

Menstruating individuals all over the world are forced to skip school due to a lack of feminine hygiene products. Days for Girls International distributes pads and other feminine hygiene products to aspiring students. Donating to this nonprofit helps fund the Days for Girls kits, which contain pads, soap, underwear and variety of other products that help alleviate the discomfort that generally comes with an individual’s menstrual cycle.   

Eli Flesch — Opinion Editor

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

Founded in response to the Red Scare that saw the lawless rounding up of suspected radicals, the ACLU has for nearly a century used the courts to protect the basic rights of Americans. Today that mission is more urgent. President-elect Trump threatens deportations and a woman’s right to choose. The ACLU has the experience to fight any challenges posed to the constitution and our freedoms by the incoming administration.

Emilie DeFazio — Features Editor

Transgender Law Center

The Transgender Law Center envisions a society where the self-determination of gender is considered a basic right for all. The center strives to change legal policy and discriminatory attitudes primarily through individual donations so that those who identify as transgender or gender-nonconforming have access to resources, find a community and live safely. Donate this season so that the Detention Project, TRUTH and Positively Trans (T+) can continue to their full potential.

Amanda Ong — Arts & Culture Editor

Planned Parenthood

Contrary to what the pro-life protesters outside an abortion clinic will tell you, abortions account for just 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s annual services. The nonprofit also offers equally vital resources such as STD testing, cancer screenings and contraception, especially to those who may not be able to afford it otherwise. We encourage donors to send a certificate of appreciation to the office of Vice President-elect Mike Pence, a man who has long crusaded against reproductive rights. Truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Bryan Sykes — Sports Editor

Camp Kesem

For a child whose parent has cancer it’s difficult, if not impossible, to actually step back and be a kid. Camp Kesem at UC Davis is an organization that puts on two weeklong summer camps for children aged 6 to 16 who have a parent who is or has been affected by cancer. The camp is specifically designed to take away the pain of living in a household that is ravaged by cancer, if only for a few days, while providing a strong emotional support system. The Davis chapter of Camp Kesem serves children in the greater Sacramento area. For more information about volunteer opportunities and donations please visit www.campkesemdavis.org.

Ariel Robbins — Science & Tech Editor

#NoDAPL

For months, protesters had been resisting the construction of the invasive, multi-million dollar, 1,172 mile-long Dakota Access Pipeline, that would carry crude oil through lands sacred to the indigenous people of the Standing Rock Native American Reservation and put their main water supply at risk. Although the US Army Corp of Engineers announced on Dec. 4 that the Dakota Access Pipeline’s passage through Sioux Standing Rock reservation will be rerouted, for the indigenous people, the fight to save their land and resources is ongoing. The Huffington Post compiled a list of numbers to call and places to donate to, complete with supply wish lists to help those defending their right to clean water. #NoDAPL #WaterIsLife