Pickup truck crashes into Thompson Hall

VENOOS MOSHAYEDI / AGGIE

Building repairs necessary, no injuries

A pickup truck crashed into the Thompson Hall at around 2:30 a.m. on March 6. While the collision damaged the wall of the residence hall, no injuries were reported. The truck first hit a light pole and a curb before crashing into the exterior wall of a bathroom on Thompson’s first floor. No one was in the bathroom at the time and there are no bedrooms on the first floor of Thompson.

“Student Housing staff along with campus Facilities Services, a campus building inspector, a private engineer and private contractor were on-site later in the morning to evaluate the damage and to begin scoping the repairs,” said Mike Sheehan, director of Facilities Services for Student Housing and Dining Services, via email. “The engineer found no structural concerns so we were free to move forward with temporary mitigations.  By 11 a.m. the site had been cleaned up and by end of day the damaged wall was reinforced and covered. Additionally, a lock was added to the bathroom door for safety and security. Over the next few days the campus will be working with a contractor and engineer to draw up the permanent repair and schedule for that repair.”

Acting Lieutenant Bill Beermann of the UC Davis Police Department stated via email that alcohol was not a factor in the accident and that the incident is still under investigation.

In a statement to the UC Davis Dateline website, Sheehan said that this was the first time a vehicle had hit any of the Segundo North residence halls.

Written by: Alyssa Vandenberg  — campus@theaggie.org