UC Office of the President addresses gender-inclusive restrooms on campuses

MEENA RUGH / AGGIE FILE

Gender-inclusive bathrooms filter now located on the UC Davis campus map

The University of California Office of the President (UCOP) released a statement on Feb. 23 regarding President Donald Trump’s decision to revoke the guidance issued by the Obama Administration on accommodating transgender and gender non-conforming students. This included the unrestricted access to restrooms that conform to students’ gender identities.

“The University of California, in accordance with state law and in keeping with its own principles of nondiscrimination, will continue to ensure that its transgender students, faculty and staff have unrestricted access to restrooms that conform to their gender identities,” said a statement released by UCOP. “We are heartened to hear that protecting all students, including those in the LGBTQ community, remains a stated priority for the Department of Education.”

On the UC Davis campus map, students can now locate all gender-inclusive bathrooms under the student and staff resources tab.

On the UC Davis LGBTQIA Resource Center’s website, an article was released listing the available gender-inclusive restroom locations on campus. The article also includes a statement by JAC Stringer, founder of Heartland Trans* Wellness Group, that addresses the struggles transgender people face in sex-segregated bathrooms and the importance of providing gender-inclusive restrooms for not only transgender people, but also for children or disabled people who are accompanied by a differently-gendered parent or attendant.

“Gender inclusive bathrooms provide a safe, private facility for transgender, genderqueer and gender nonconforming people, families with children and people with disabilities who may need assistance,” Stringer said.

UC Berkeley researchers recently released a study that found transgender and genderfluid teens face up to three times more mental and physical abuse than their gender-conforming peers. The study also found that school-based bullying was the most common form of aggression faced by transgender and genderfluid teens, with transgender girls experiencing the highest rates of cyberbullying and gender-fluid teens assigned male at birth reporting the most cases of sexual violence.

The director of the LGBTQIA Resource Center, elizabeth coté, believes it is important for universities to continue to provide students, faculty and staff the option of gender-inclusive restrooms.

“Having gender-inclusive restrooms and facilities available is crucial to the campus climate for trans and gender non-conforming undergraduate and graduate scholars, staff and faculty,” coté said.

The LGBTQIA Resource Center, coté added, will continue to be a useful and comfortable space for all students of the UC Davis community.

“The LGBTQIA Resource Center will continue our work of providing an open and inclusive space and community that challenges systems of oppression, including cis-sexism,” coté said. “We will continue to provide education about all sexes, genders and sexualities as well as space for self-exploration of these identities.”
Written by: Demi Caceres — campus@theaggie.org