Manetti Shrem Museum opens newest exhibition, from this point forward

ARIELLE REBEK / COURTESY

Exhibition showcases work of UC Davis graduate students

Since the grand opening of the Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art last fall, the museum’s main focus has been to sustain the tradition and legacy of the UC Davis Art Department. Graduate student artwork or pieces that have a particular connection to Davis are often featured, in addition to a variety of other different artists. The Manetti Shrem’s upcoming exhibition, from this point forward, revolves specifically around the works of 28 UC Davis graduate students from various departments, including Art Studio, Art History, Theater and Dance, Creative Writing, Design, History and Music. The contrast in each of these fields provides for a unique museum-going experience, in which viewers will get to see different types of artwork. Additionally, from this point forward is the Manetti Shrem’s first all-student show.

“These [artists] are all students who are finishing their graduate degrees now,” said Jeffrey Day, a content strategist for the Humanities, Arts and Cultural Studies Department, via email. “Some are more traditional students who have gone straight through from undergrad to graduate school. Others already have some sort of career, either as artists or in some related areas.”

Day is currently working on publicity for the exhibition.

From this point forward, a multi-disciplinary show, will highlight the wide range of creative accomplishments made by students at UC Davis. This exhibition will not only emphasize the importance of the Art Department, but it will also display the high level of achievement and hard work put in by students at the university to a public audience. It will allow members of the community to experience the diverse creativity within the College of Letters and Sciences and for the artists themselves to put their work on display. Some of the pieces featured will include costume designs, music compositions, sound installations, videos, sculptures and more.

“I think it’s really interesting to see works by real UC Davis students in the Manetti Shrem,” said Pahrmis Hashemi, a first-year neurobiology, physiology and behavior major. “As a visitor, I think it makes you feel more connected to the artwork and the history behind it all.”

From this point forward will be displayed from May 27 to June 30. The museum, located at 254 Old Davis Road, will be holding an opening reception for the exhibition on June 1 from 6 to 9 p.m.

Written by: Sydney Odman — arts@theaggie.org