ASUCD Coffee House Celebrates 50th Anniversary

BRIAN LANDRY / AGGIE

Celebration will feature special deals and speaker events

The ASUCD Coho is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a series of special events and deals throughout Spring Quarter.

“I am extremely thrilled to be celebrating the Coho’s 50th anniversary,” said Darin Schluep, the food service director of AS Dining Services. “As someone who’s been a part of the Coffee House family for the last 20 years, I am so proud of the impact this operation has had on so many members of the UC Davis community.”

As part of its celebration, the Coho is holding #TBT pricing every Thursday through May 17, when prices on select items are reverted to what they were decades ago.

The first TBT special was held on April 5 and rolled the price of a small coffee back to 68 cents.

Other events will include Decade Days (May 14 to 17) where staff members will dress up and play music from the ‘60s to ‘90s and Alumni Speaker panels (May 14 to 16) where Coho alumni will speak about the impact the Coho had on their college experience and careers after college.

Among the speakers are Joe Sasto, the winner of Food Network’s “Chopped” and a third-place finisher on Bravo’s “Top Chef”;  TJ Adams-Falconer, the former White House media affairs manager under Obama; and Karina Harris, the founder and CEO of Waffles & Honey Jewelry.

The Coho was started in 1968 as a student-run foodservice operation with a simple menu of coffee, pastries and sandwiches.  

Today, the Coho employs over 350 students, serves over 7,500 customers a day and provides real-world job skill training to employees, student supervisors and student managers.

“It is a good place to work and an integral part of the community,” said third-year design major and an outfront supervisor at the CoHo Malena Hansen. “They’re planning a lot of great discounts that are awesome for students.”

The celebration will also include a reception on May 17 featuring Coho employees both past and present to celebrate its historical impact on the UC Davis community. Speakers at the reception will include Bob Black, the ASUCD president in 1968 and Sharon Coulson, the Coho director of 27 years.

“The 50th anniversary is a great time for us to not only celebrate our place on campus, but to also reflect back on the thousands of student employees who have dedicated themselves to the success of the Coffee House over the years, and in the process helped shape the Coho into the student-focused campus institution it is today,” Schluep said.

Many students who frequent the Coho expressed excitement over the celebration.

“I love the Coho,” said second-year cognitive science and sociology double major Shreya Deshpande. “And the discounts sound great!”

Written by: Clara Zhao — campus@theaggie.org

1. I think a cup of house coffee was 15 cents when i went there, and it was very good strong dark roasted. Then they had a premium offering too for 25 cents. A total of two types to choose from. With a toasted poppy seed bagel with a thick slice of cream cheese too.