From the California Chronicles

CHRISTIE NEO / AGGIE

We both knew that it would be a while before we saw each other again…

Time passed and we continued to see each other. I think I liked that he wasn’t very emotional, which is what I thought I was until I discovered that I’m actually not at all. I never liked “The Notebook” anyway.

For the first time, I found myself eating watermelon Sour Patch in bed and sleeping in till noon after long movie screenings on my eleven-inch laptop. Spring Quarter finals were approaching and the nice weather was driving me to check out early. Paul hardly ever slept in his own bed, but he would get close. He’d often pass out drunk with at least one limb reaching for the bed from the ground.

I picked up a job working at restaurant at the beginning of the quarter, but I quit the week before finals. People born with common sense have to deal with everyone that doesn’t have it, so I ditched the service industry — hopefully, for good. It seemed like I didn’t get into a routine until it was almost time to leave, but that’s usually how it goes. I had mastered my finals technique by then, so they went rather well. I only pulled a Hail Mary for two of my four finals.

The time came to pack up my things and head home to Los Angeles for the summer. He helped me pack the arsenal of clothes I brought from home, though I only ever managed to wear about ten percent of it. It was a silent time because we both knew that it would be a while before we saw each other again, so I made myself look extra focused in my sorting. The time came to say goodbye, which we were both terrible at doing. He gave a kiss on my forehead and held himself back from saying or doing more. I smiled and held a gaze. It was all I needed.

At that moment I understood timing is everything; rushing things before their time is like pulling too hard on a condom — it becomes useless.

Written by: Terry Hudson — arts@theaggie.org

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by Terry Hudson are completely fictional and do not necessarily indicate the views and opinions held by The California Aggie. The story is fictionalized, as is Terry Hudson.