Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Here are resources available to students on and off campus during COVID-19 crisis

Food accessibility, tech resources, study resources and grading options, crisis lines and mental health resources, paid administrative leave 

While much of the campus remains closed as a result of COVID-19, there are still many on-campus and off-campus resources available to students and non-students. When accessing these resources or going about your day, we, the Editorial Board, want to emphasize the importance of social distancing. The virus can spread through the air by an infected person breathing or talking — not just by coughing or sneezing, as was previously believed — making it easily transmissible from person to person. It is pertinent that we all remain at a distance of at least six feet from one another and adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s latest directives, which now recommend that everyone cover their mouth when going to public spaces. 

Food Accessibility 

Aggie Compass at the Basic Needs Center in the MU, remains open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, and offers weekly pre-packaged grocery bags on Thursdays, available from noon to 2 p.m. Students who are lacking adequate nutritious food, are experiencing homelessness, are at risk of losing housing or are otherwise food insecure can submit a resource request through the university or call 530-752-9254. 

Free to-go meals are also available to the community at various locations in Davis: Davis Community Meals is providing food at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 5:45 to 6:30 p.m.; Grace in Action Lunch and Fellowship is providing food at Davis United Methodist Church on Mondays from noon to 1:30 p.m. and at Pole Line Baptist Church on Fridays from noon to 1:30 p.m.; Faith and Food is providing food at Davis Community Church on Fridays at noon; Yolo Food Bank is providing pantry staple bags at the C Street patio on Saturdays at noon. 

Tech Resources 

Students without laptops or with laptops that lack features to support online learning, such as a microphone and webcam, can rent laptops for free by filling out the student laptop checkout program request form. The Campus Store website remains open to take orders, but all physical locations will be closed. Services will be available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday through Friday: for TechHub repairs, call 530-752-2204 for a reservation; for online order pickups, call 530-752-7835 to confirm your pickup time. Comcast is also offering two months of free internet for low-income households. 

Study Resources and Grading Options 

The 24-hour study room in Shields Library remains open. Students off campus can use the library’s VPN to access online materials, and many publishers are temporarily making select content available online for free. Librarians with subject expertise are also available to remotely assist students with library research for class assignments. 

The university has implemented more flexible Pass/No Pass grading options available until the last day of instruction. This might not be the optimal option for everyone, however, so we highly encourage students to speak with their academic advisors beforehand. Academic advising appointments are still available but will be conducted remotely via Zoom or phone. 

Crisis Lines and Mental Health Resources 

Suicide Prevention of Yolo County offers confidential and anonymous telephone counseling 24/7 at 888-233-0228. Empower Yolo offers 24/7 crisis intervention, emotional support and advocacy, as well as emergency shelter for individuals and families affected by domestic violence and sexual assault, at 530-662-1133 or 916-371-1907. 

Student Health and Counseling Services is offering online visits to students for counseling, psychiatry and medical services. Campus Recreation has compiled a list of links covering topics like time management and at-home workouts. 

Paid Administrative Leave 

Student employees may request paid administrative leave if they find themselves unable to work as a result of COVID-19. To do so, employees must complete the Emergency Administrative Leave form and submit it to their immediate supervisor. 

We recognize that these resources are not comprehensive enough for the vast and varying needs of the student body, but we hope they are of assistance. Adhering to best practices is both physically and mentally isolating, and we want to emphasize that we are all in this fight together. As fellow peers, professors, administrators and friends, we must have empathy for one another at this time. Compassion is critical in the face of conditions that demand our detachment.

Written by: The Editorial Board