A list of heartwarming things happening in the world right now

During this challenging time, here are a few pieces of good news to put a smile on your face 

With the constant bombardment of news related to the coronavirus, many people feel overwhelmed by pandemic-induced anxiety. Now, more than ever, people are making an effort to emphasize good things happening in the world. From John Krasinski’s “Some Good News” series on YouTube to shares on Twitter and Instagram, individuals have come together to appreciate the good amid the bad. Here are four pieces of news sure to brighten anyone’s day.

1. More animals fostered and adopted

Many have welcomed new furry friends into their homes through fostering and adoption during this period of social distancing. With more time spent in their homes, people are looking for something to occupy their free time and welcome a new source of happiness in their lives.

The Los Angeles Times addressed this trend, writing, “Amid the lockdown, a restless and hard-headed nation has discovered that what it really needs right now is a snuggle and a slurp.”

2.  Improved air quality 

Air quality around the world has improved as modes of transportation are used less frequently and emissions have decreased. In an article covering this change in air quality, The Washington Post shared details about Los Angeles from Yifang Zhu, a professor at UCLA’s Fielding School of Public Health. 

“Zhu says the average levels of PM 2.5 for the L.A. area dropped from about 16 micrograms per cubic meter to about 12 micrograms per cubic meter,” The Post article said, further mentioning that this improvement should not end with the pandemic, rather it is “something that society should strive for during normal times.”

3. Celebration for a girl’s last chemotherapy session on John Krasinki’s “Some Good News”

John Krasinski’s new series on YouTube, “Some Good News,” looks to the public to create a news platform solely consisting of good news. Krasinski shares many happy stories, one of which features a girl who is welcomed home by a socially-distant celebration from friends and family after her last chemotherapy session. The video showcases car after car filled with people cheering and holding up signs, revealing a community that has come together to show support even during these difficult times. 

4. Free membership, lectures and streaming available to the public 

Stay-at-home orders have left Americans with a lot of free time, and due to the crisis, many free options have presented themselves to solve this dilemma. From Broadway shows becoming available to stream online to gyms offering free online workout classes, there are myriad options now available for everyone. All Ivy League universities are even offering free online classes to the public — no perfect score on the SAT necessary. NPR detailed these opportunities and more here

Written by: Nora Farahdel — features@theaggie.org