Orientation Office prepares for modified operational status of campus

Aggie 101, Aggie Advising resources available to admitted students in meantime

In regards to upcoming orientations, the UC Davis Orientation Office is “preparing for both the modified and fully operational status of the campus,” said Associate Vice Chancellor Michael Sheehan in a statement via email.

In previous years, orientations for incoming students took place throughout summer months. Starting in Fall Quarter 2020, however, incoming students were set to participate in an orientation week immediately before the start of Fall Quarter.

“Currently, the team is planning both virtual and small group in-person programs,” Sheehan said in a statement via email, in regards to the Aggie Orientation program starting with the residence hall move-in on September 23 and 24. 

Aggie 101 is now accessible for freshman student admits through the My Admissions portal and will be available to transfer student admits after June 1. 

The online Aggie 101 is the first step of required Orientation and is “an online experience” that should take “approximately 1-2 hours to complete,” according to the UC Davis orientation website.

“The Orientation Team continues to administer the Aggie 101 online module for all new students,” Sheehan said. 

Upon completing Aggie 101, students will be introduced to resources for “academic, personal and social growth,” according to the UC Davis orientation website. These modules are intended to provide information that can help meet students’ basic needs at UC Davis. 

Aggie 101 is also designed to help admitted students “understand the academic policies, requirements, and tools necessary for academic planning,” and help identify ways students can build their community on campus, according to the UC Davis orientation website. 

Aggie 101 must be completed before admitted students can access Aggie Advising, another component of orientation.  

“Each of the College Dean’s Offices are starting up their Aggie Advising support for students,” Sheehan said. 

Aggie Advising is intended to provide students with academic advising support in order “to prepare for course schedule planning and registration,” according to the website. 

Specifically, through Aggie Advising, students will register for a schedule for Fall Quarter and understand both how to access academic advising and what the role of an academic advisor is, according to the website. 

“Our hope is still to create a sense of what it means to be an Aggie and provide a positive experience to those students who have had their previous school experiences cut short,” Sheenan said. 

Written by: Aarya Gupta — campus@theaggie.org