Yolo County follows the state’s decision to keep mask mandates in place until June 15

After June 15, fully-vaccinated individuals won’t have to wear masks except at lage events

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced on May 16 that fully vaccinated people can resume activities without social distancing or wearing a face covering. Despite these updated guidelines, California isn’t set to remove its mask mandate for fully-vaccinated individuals until June 15.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) detailed that after June 15, being vaccinated or testing negative for COVID-19 and wearing a mask will be required for everyone attending indoor Mega Events (over 5,000 attendees). Masks will also be mandatory for Outdoor Mega Events (over 10,000 attendees), but being vaccinated or testing negative will only be recommended. 

On-call public information officer Frank Schneegas explained that Yolo County’s orders align with the state’s restrictions, although Yolo County has the ability to implement firmer guidelines than the state.

“We can’t be less restrictive than the state, although we can be more restrictive,” Schneegas said. “We don’t have anything in place that is more restrictive, so we’re following whatever the state does.”

Schneegas said Yolo County may see caveats to when masks are mandatory after June 15 but that the CDPH announcement is still currently applicable to Yolo County. He added that Yolo County is waiting to hear about how people would be identified as vaccinated from the state. He emphasized the importance of getting vaccinated, adding that data have shown vaccines to be effective and safe.

“We hope everyone gets vaccinated to ensure the health and safety of our residents and our broader community,” Schneegas said. 

Kaiser Permanente still requires everyone entering its facilities to wear masks, including in locations outside of California where there are no current mask mandates. It also recently started administering the Pfizer vaccine to people ages 12 to 15 and offers free vaccines to members and nonmembers alike. 

Kaiser Permanente Senior Public Relations Consultant Chyresse Hill emphasized the importance of wearing a mask and getting tested for fully-vaccinated individuals with COVID-19 symptoms. 

“Kaiser Permanente advises everyone age 12 and older to get vaccinated as soon as possible,” Hill said via email. “Even after fully vaccinating, anyone with symptoms of illness should resume wearing a mask and get tested.”

Schneegas detailed that cloth and medical masks have shown to be effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19. The CDC recommends people to find cloth masks that have a nose wire, block light when holding it up to a bright light and contain layers of breathable, woven fabric. They do not recommend masks containing exhalation vents or valves, or those made of only one layer of fabric that does not block light.

Schneegas encouraged all eligible Yolo County residents to get vaccinated, noting that getting vaccinated is free and sites are easy to find locally. 

“The [vaccines] are incredibly easy to get now, and they’re very accessible,” Schneegas said. “They are absolutely free regardless of whether or not you do or don’t have health insurance.”
Written by: Ellie Lee — city@theaggie.org