Saturday, May 4, 2024

Student summers abroad at the Silo Crepe Bistro

Summer at the silo has a nice ring to it

By ALLISON KELEHER — adkeleher@ucdavis.edu 

Not so breaking news — two months ago, in the middle of the night, many fliers were put up around the UC Davis campus offering an internship abroad for Summer 2024. There was even one found on a lamppost by the cows. 

The internship appeared to be the opportunity of a lifetime! The compensation would be free room and board plus $450 a week for only three hours of work. The rest of your time could be spent cafe hopping in Paris and meeting new people. 

One rejected applicant said, “I really liked the Eiffel Tower graphic on the flier — that’s what made me want to apply.” 

Hundreds of undergraduate students scanned the QR code on the flier and filled out the Google form. The link to the Google form doesn’t exist anymore, however one of my sources told me, “One of the questions mentioned that a passport was optional, which I thought was weird.” 

Currently, I am concerned for the UCD student population because the lack of critical thinking is astronomical. Addressing the applicants now — did you expect to be smuggled into the country in a cargo plane? 

The lucky winner was notified last week on Sunday night to report for orientation in front of the Silo. My sources tell me that she was unsure of where to go because the email just said, “Meet in front of ze silo to begin your work – sent from my iPad.” She warily approached a man wearing white with a French mustache. Luckily, it turned out to be the orchestrator of the internship.

She was brought through the Silo and given a tour, and finally, the tour ended in the Crepe Bistro where she was given a hat and an apron. She went along with the training, sort of unsure of what was happening. After a full four-hour training shift, she finally asked “So when do I get more information about the internship?” To which the French man said, “This is ze internship.”

My sources tell me that her face became red with anger before she ripped the apron off and threw it on the ground. “You said I would be cafe hopping this summer, not making crepes!” she exclaimed. 

“Have you checked out Peets yet?” he called out after her as she stormed out. 

Written by: Allison Keleher — adkeleher@ucdavis.edu

Disclaimer: (This article is humor and/or satire, and its content is purely fictional. The story and the names of “sources” are fictionalized.)