Thursday, May 16, 2024

Four books to add to your springtime reading list

Why wait for summer to add some new books to your Goodreads? 

By NATALIE SALTER — arts@theaggie.org 

Springtime is a fresh start for nature, and it’s the perfect time for you to refresh your reading list with new and delightful reads. In true spring spirit, these books are enchanting and whimsical, with plenty of magic and adventure and romance captured in the midst of the season’s lush bloom. If you have a beautiful afternoon to spare, take one of these novels and curl up beneath the shade of a tree to read for the day — you will tumble into a wonderful world that captures the unique beauty of springtime!

“Anne of Green Gables” by Lucy Maud Montgomery (1908)

When orphan Anne Shirley is sent by mistake to a household seeking a boy, she finds herself navigating triumphs and misfortunes in the town of Avonlea. Wild-spirited, imaginative and outspoken, Anne deals with complicated and humorous situations with her friends and foes in the town. Though trouble seems to follow where she goes, Anne’s bold personality makes her an inspiring and charming young heroine in a classic and unforgettable novel.

Between its beautiful fictionalized setting and playful adventures that only a young girl could have fallen into, this novel is quintessentially spring. Reading Anne’s tales, you’ll discover along with her the importance of living life to the fullest and embracing what makes you different from others. It’s an inspiring and endearing book perfect to read on a sunny day out in nature, and Anne Shirley is certain to leave an impression on you with every page.

“Sense and Sensibility” by Jane Austen (1811)

In “Sense and Sensibility,” Austen tells the tale of two sisters: Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Though bound together by shared blood, the two young women could not be more different — Elinor cautious and reserved, Marianne free-spirited and romantic. They each fall into their own complex and emotional love lives, but their companionship as sisters is the heart and soul of this novel. 

Charmingly romantic and hopeful, Austen’s novel is a lovely standalone read for spring. Whether you find yourself reflected in Elinor’s quiet sensibility or Marianne’s wild passion, there is delight to be found in this book for readers of every personality. If you find yourself enamored with Austen’s playful writing style, it is absolutely worth it to check out her other novels as well, and enjoy the romantic joy of the season.

“Stardust” by Neil Gaiman (1997)

In Neil Gaiman’s enchanting fantasy novel “Stardust,” a series of threads weave together to create a beautifully mystical adventure. In the village of Wall, Tristran Thorn swears to the girl he has fallen for that he will bring her a fallen star in exchange for her love. Upon leaving home, he discovers that the star he watched fall from the sky is a girl named Yvaine. Meanwhile, the Lord of Stormhold dies and leaves several sons vying for his throne and who must obtain the pendant that Yvaine wears to inherit the title — all whilst a wicked trio of witches pursue Yvaine’s trail to take her heart and restore their youth. 

Beautifully immersive and extraordinarily unique, “Stardust” has it all — magic, romance, politics, adventure and humor, blended together brilliantly into an unforgettable read. It’s as enchanting as catching a fallen star with your own two hands, and spring is the perfect time to fall into a world of fantasy and wonderment like that which this novel offers.

“The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)

Bilbo Baggins is very content living in his cozy, well-furnished hobbit hole with good food and plenty of books, thank you very much. That is, until a wizard comes knocking at his door, along with an assortment of dwarves seeking to reclaim their gold-filled mountain from a fire-breathing dragon. As the homebody hobbit finds himself caught in the center of this wild and dangerous quest, he discovers that a life truly worth living is not in the hidden safety of his home, but in adventure, wilderness and friendship.

Tolkien’s fantasy classic “The Hobbit” is a fantastic choice to add to your spring reading list, full of curiosities and cleverly written characters that come together to create a memorable and delightful novel. It’s the precursor to the widely beloved “Lord of the Rings” trilogy of novels, so if you’re enchanted by Tolkien’s Middle Earth, there’s plenty more to find beyond this iconic standalone adventure. 

If you’re hoping to start your spring off on a lovely note, there’s no better adventure than one of these pleasant and lighthearted novels.

Written by: Natalie Salter — arts@theaggie.org