Saturday, May 4, 2024

Editorial: Senate endorsements

Next week, students will elect another round of senators to represent them in ASUCD. Voting starts Feb. 16 at 8 a.m. and ends Feb. 18 at 8 a.m. Results will be announced at noon that Friday.

Voters will rank candidates in order of preference through ASUCD’s choice voting system. If a student’s first-choice candidate either wins with extra votes or fails to meet a minimum vote standard, that vote goes toward the voter’s next choice candidate.

This quarter’s group of candidates is remarkably well-qualified, making the decision of whom to vote for exceptionally difficult. The Aggie editorial board interviewed all 13 candidates and our endorsements reflect whom we feel will be most effective.

No. 1 – Eli Yani: Yani has an unbeatable knowledge of the $10.7 million ASUCD budget. Yani served as the 2009-2010 controller, responsible for drafting and implementing the budget and acting as the primary financial advisor to the ASUCD president and senate.

Even though his platforms aren’t exactly serious – moving waffle makers from the dining halls to the CoHo and weeding out communists from ASUCD – he is by far the most ASUCD savvy candidate. Already familiar with ASUCD’s limitations, he will be a voice of fiscal responsibility on the senate table.

No. 2 – Ryan Meyerhoff: While Meyerhoff has never sat on the senate table, he has held multiple positions specializing in the ASUCD bylaws. He is the ASUCD webmaster, former chair of the Elections Committee, former senior associate justice with the ASUCD Court and a current student representative with the Academic Senate.

Despite his platform to start free parking on campus one hour earlier – a similar goal that many have tried and failed – Meyerhoff has solid budget-cutting ideas and will bring institutional knowledge and a centrist perspective to the table.

No. 3 – Miguel Espinoza: Espinoza is familiar enough with ASUCD to be effective while still being new enough to bring a fresh perspective. Espinoza is a commissioner on the Gender and Sexuality Commission and a co-chair with the Queer Student Union. His work with the Student Recruitment and Retention Center, Cross Cultural Center and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center has given him leadership skills and knowledge of student needs.

His platform to pay for transportation for prospective students to visit UC Davis seems unrealistic, but it shows that his heart is in the right place.

No. 4 – Amy Martin: Even though Martin is only a sophomore, she is already an accomplished member of ASUCD. She sits on the senate table as the chair of the Internal Affairs Commission and is chief of staff to the controller. Therefore, she is familiar with both the executive and legislative sides of the association and is well prepared to serve as senator. Her platform goals, such as expanding composting to the Silo and putting Classical Notes online, are sound and doable.

Martin said she wants to represent the Greek community on the table. While there is no problem with being part of a sorority, senate already has a share of Greek perspectives.

No. 5 – Brendan Repicky: With a year of service on the External Affairs Commission under his belt, Repicky understands the structure of ASUCD. He wants to do big things for the campus and profoundly impact all UC Davis students.

Although his platform goals, such as creating a textbook scholarship and more flexible parking, seem outside a senator’s realm of influence, Repicky obviously knows what the average student wants.

No. 6 – Caitlin Alday: As chair of the Gender and Sexuality Commission, Alday has worked with senators, various commissions and outside groups. She has proven her ability to collaborate and be a voice for underrepresented communities. She’ll help the association in its efforts to better represent all groups on campus.

While her goal to create more accessible counseling and major advising lacks a concrete plan, it shows that Alday wants to make changes that will impact all students on campus.

See the candidates debate Wednesday at the ASUCD Coffee House at noon, and vote online at elections.ucdavis.edu.

1. @ concerned voter: I’m surprised you remember Andrew Peake, and yes, he did run on that! But I didn’t, so get your facts straight. I’ve mentioned it a few times as an idea, and I think it’s a good idea.

And, re: the “wasteful spender” comment, I have no problem with having authored the most spending bills on the table. But considering that every bill has been for investments and upgrades in ASUCD units, including the Bike Barn, Cal Aggie, Tipsy Taxi, and Picnic Day, you must really think that all that stuff ASUCD does–other than giving grant money out to whatever student group you belong to–is a total joke. I’ll see you on the third floor, and maybe you can explain yourself in person.

@Italics: Thanks for the shoutout. I wouldn’t say I’m fiscally conservative, just fiscally responsible 🙂

@ Everyone else: I agree with Miguel, let’s not hate. While I might personally disagree with the #1 and #2 picks, Eli and Ryan are eminently qualified and I can see why the Aggie picked them.

2. So I never actually leave comments on these things…but hey why the hell not.

I want to start off by saying I truly wish more people were involved in ASUCD and cared enough to be in it.

However, this isn’t going to happen for the following reasons.

1)If people keep having these ridiculous conversations back and forth in the comments section of an Aggie article. Why would anyone want to get involved in this? It makes people involved in ASUCD look dumb.

2)If people who have been highly involved in ASUCD run as a joke for senate. While I understand this person is trying to make the point that platforms do not matter, I believe that that is a very blanket statement. Some candidates really do think about their platforms and what they want to do on senate before running. I agree that there are other factors that should be considered, but if someone who is involved in ASUCD doesn’t believe in how we define the credibility of people running for senate then how are we supposed to honestly encourage other people to get involved and vote. I’m not doubting his qualifications, but I am doubting his methods.

3) Okay and seriously? To me as a voter one of the most important things is if I can depend on the person I am voting for. Yet, the Aggie endorses a candidate who dropped his position during its most important time.

@Matt B, you seem to be informed about ASUCD and elections and stuff. I was just wondering if you hold a position in ASUCD and what have you done with it? Instead of spending so much time writing comments on this thing maybe you should work harder at your job.

And Andre Lee is actually one of the most fiscally conservative people at the table. And I would love a hammock on the quad…what have you got against hammocks?

Just an additional side note: Platforms don’t have to be just about the platform itself. But instead it can show how much time and effort a candidate is willing to put in in order to turn an idea into something that can actually help the student body. If they care enough to do the research on a platform before they get elected…then they will probably continue to work their asses off if they win.

…now go ahead and attack me I know you all will.

3. Hi Aggie : )

Thank you for the endorsement, as well as congratulations to everyone who was endorsed. You are all amazingly qualified and I’m seriously developing mind crushes on everyone.

sidenote; there’s probably a more constructive way to suggest having ran the endorsements post-debate, particularly one that doesn’t insinuate support for a candidate to be ‘fake, fake, fakeness.’

aint no reason to get rude.

4. So i take offense to the comment about basements, because thats implying that he has wealth to buy a house. For all you know Matt B could live in an apartment or in a shack or on the streets. you should seriously check your privilege. You are pushing forth your heteronormative large home ownership mentality on all of us and i think you need to step back and evaluate that not everyone has the white privilege of being in a large home

5. Thank you Aggie for seeing past [typically] crappy platform goals and selecting individuals with experience. I especially laud your selection of Eli as #1. Definitely the most well qualified (and I’m not kidding).

But hey,

Haters gona hate.jpg

6. @Allison: ASUCD is a joke… very little accomplished every year. As for proctor’s sarcasm, he has always been a self glorified dick. No one paid any attention to him in college so thats why he still writing on this blog. (he was a faliure as an editor anyways)

Proctor: Really dude? i know life is lonely for you… but if you want a change in your life… just switch hands.. 🙂

Matt B: womyn with a y de-asociates females from a male oriented term wo-(men). You would have learned that in college if you came out of your mom’s basement every now and then.

7. for Ali tanner, if you are a senator, im embarrassed that people voted for you if that is the way you behave

for Andre Lee, ive heard and seen you, you have been one of the most wasteful spenders i have ever seen on the ASUCD joke senate. Also, hammocks on the quad? really? Andrew Peake ran on this for president, your platforms are a joke

Matt B i agree, why so serious?

furthermore, Bold is a major joke along with all other Slates.

i applaud Eli for running as a joke to prove how much of a joke this system is, maybe things will change.