Thursday, June 13, 2024

Letter to the Editor: Advertisement response

The opinion expressed by Mark Ling on the issue of David Horowitz’s ad does not represent the view of the entire Editorial Board. We do not support apologizing for controversial content and we do not support the censorship of opinions, so long as it does not constitute as hate speech, which, legally, must advocate for violence.

What Horowitz wrote is hateful, but it is not hate speech. We are not sympathetic to his ideas, but hiding his point of view does not make it go away.

As a newspaper, we are obligated to provide an open forum and an unapologetic devotion to freedom of expression. It is inevitable for some to take offense to certain content.

Janelle Bitker

Aggie Campus Editor

Nick Markwith

Aggie Features Editor

Becky Peterson

Aggie City Editor

Max Rosenblum

Aggie Managing Editor

1. Arafat, if those aren’t links to videos of you singing “Teenage Dream” to me in a Speedo, then I don’t wanna see ’em.

2. “In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.”

3. despite the fact that many people were hurt by the advertisement, it is still wrong to censor something that, as this letter mentions, does not advocate for violence. though the editor in cheif’s apology may help to but some “band aids” on the issue, it still does not change the message. as hateful as the ad was, they have every right to state their opinions, censorship free.