Women’s Soccer preview

Teams: UC Davis at Hawai’i: at Cal State Northridge

Records: Aggies, 7-6-2 (2-2-1); Rainbow Wahine 6-8-2 (1-4-0); Matadors 6-5-4 (3-1-1)
Where: Waipi’o Peninsula Soccer Stadium—Honolulu; Matador Soccer Field—Northridge, Calif.
When:  Friday at 10 p.m., Sunday at 1 p.m.
Who to watch: UC Davis was plagued by late game let downs this past weekend. In order to earn some wins this weekend they will need top notch leadership.

Head Coach MaryClaire Robinson has heralded the efforts of junior Mary Beth Mazurak this season.

“She’s been tough for us and it’s been great,” Robinson said.

The Ventura, Calif. native needs to keep the squad focused because they have a lot of miles to travel this weekend. The Aggies need to stay sharp in spite of the time changes and Mazurak’s determination will set a perfect example.

Did you know? UC Davis will travel over 5,000 miles and play two Big West conference matches this weekend.

Preview: The Aggies are facing Hawai’i, Cal State Northridge and a lot of traveling this weekend. There are only four games left to decide UC Davis’ final conference ranking. The Aggies are currently ranked sixth, but two wins this weekend will help them move up the rankings.

The game against Hawai’i promises to be a physical challenge. Robinson saw endurance falter during last Sunday’s tie against UC Irvine.

“We had some good play when our legs were with us and some waves where we didn’t have our legs,” Robinson said.

It is coming to the end of the season and UC Davis’ playoff future depends on their ability to remain hungry.

Hawai’i is ranked eighth and Cal State Northridge is ranked fifth. On paper, the Aggies should be able to claim both victories, but Robinson knows it is never that simple.

“It’s all about who finishes their chances,” Robinson said.

The Friday night kick-off will be one of the Rainbow Wahine’s last home games this season. Hawai’i will also be looking to rebound off a 2-5 loss to Cal Poly.

Sunday’s match against Northridge promises to be a physical match as well. The Matadors recently pushed conference favorite Cal Poly to a 2-2 tie and pulled off a 1-0 victory against UC Santa Barbara.

The next two weeks will set the stage for the Big West Conference tournament and UC Davis desperately wants to be vying for a spot in the championship game. Two wins this weekend will be a step back in the right direction.

— Kim Carr