This week in men’s sports

This Week in Men's Sports

Cross Country:

Doc Adams Open

At the final home meet of the season, the Doc Adams Open proved to be the last time senior Trevor Ehlenbach would wear the Aggie uniform on home territory. He finished the 8K course in 25:45, coming in 13th place. Five Aggies raced in the Open: Ehlenbach, sophomore Luke Dorman, junior Eric Neill and freshmen Ryan Dimick and Oliver Abundez-Dominguez, placing 13th, 18th, 20th, 31st and 35th, respectively.

UC Davis will be competing Nov. 14 in the 2014 NCAA West Regional in Stanford, Calif.

Football (1-8):

UC Davis vs. Northern Arizona (L, 23-21)

UC Davis fought hard in the Big Sky Conference game this Saturday but lost 23-21, bringing their record to 1-8 and 0-6 in the conference. Ranked No. 25 nationally, the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks went scoreless in the second half due to the Aggies’ strong defense.

Junior wide receiver Ramon Vargas caught four receptions for 97 yards, including two scores. This nearly tied a UC Davis school record for reaching 100 receiving yards for the fourth game in a row.

The Aggies will play Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo on Saturday before returning to UC Davis for the Causeway Classic against Sacramento State on Nov. 22.

Soccer:

UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (W, 2-1) 2OT

UC Davis vs. Cal State Fullerton (L, 2-1)

As the clock in the second bout of overtime ticked away, sophomore forward Dashiell MacNamara scored to win the game 2-1 against Cal Poly. This victory brought the Aggies to a record of 7-3-9 overall and 5-3-2 in league standings. This ended Cal Poly’s season at 8-7-4 overall and 3-5-2 in conference standings.

MacNamara scored the first and only UC Davis goal against Cal State Fullerton on Saturday. The Titans were able to sneak two goals in during the last five minutes.  This loss brings the Aggies’ season to an end, while Cal State Fullerton will advance to the Big West Conference Semifinals.

Water Polo

UC Davis vs. UCLA (L, 16-4)

The overall record for the Aggies thus far in the season is 13-16, after losing to UCLA 16-4. The Aggies had multiple opportunities throughout the match, but were not able to convert them into points, including a five-meter penalty break in the second frame. Sophomore Jacob Ley scored twice while sophomore Mark Coufal and junior Alex Bagdasarian both scored once.

UC Davis will compete at Fresno Pacific on Friday before finishing out the regular season playing against Santa Clara University on Sunday.

Graphic by Courtesy