This week in men’s sports

This Week in Men's SportsBasketball (1-0):

UC Davis vs. Holy Names (W,  57-42)

Opening their season at home against Holy Names for the second straight season, the UC Davis men’s basketball team jumped out to an early lead before coasting to a 15-point victory. The Aggies were led by senior guard Corey Hawkins and senior forward Josh Ritchart who had 12 and 13 points respectively. Hawkins added six rebounds, six assists and three steals.

The game also saw the long-awaited return of senior guard Tyler Les (redshirt year) and junior forward J.T. Adenrele (injury), who both played through some rust. The Aggies will play two road games before returning to the Pavilion on Nov. 26.

Cross Country:

NCAA West Regionals

Before the race began, the Aggies were dealt a difficult hand as top runner junior Brandon Pugh collided with a fellow runner in warm-ups and could not compete. Without Pugh, UC Davis finished in 19th place as a team. Junior Amar Dholakai and sophomore Austin Goins were the first and second Aggies to cross the line, finishing in 86th and 92nd place.

No other UC Davis runner finished within the top 100 and three other Big West schools finished in front of the team.

Football (2-8):

UC Davis @ Cal Poly (W, 48-35)

Once again, the UC Davis offense put up a dominant performance. Senior running back Gabe Manzanares rushed for a career-high 230 yards while sophomore quarterback Ben Scott completed 75 percent of his passes for 298 yards and three touchdowns.

What changed from their seven-game losing streak, however, was the defense’s ability to stop their opponents. They held the Mustangs on three straight downs at the two-yard line on one possession and helped limit Cal Poly to holding the ball for only 13:31 of the game. While the Mustangs were able to put up 35 points, they were held far below their FCS-leading 358.2 yards per game.

The Aggies will face the Sacramento State Hornets for the Causeway Classic at home on Nov. 22.

Water Polo (15-16):

UC Davis @ Fresno Pacific (W, 10-8)

UC Davis @ No. 17 Santa Clara (W, 11-7)

After a brutal loss to No. 1 UCLA, the Aggies rebounded with two victories on the road. Against Fresno Pacific, UC Davis jumped out to an early two-point lead and clung on for a win. Freshman Cory Laidig led the team with four goals while freshman goalie Spencer Creed had four saves.

The second game saw the Aggies face off against No. 17 Santa Clara in their home pool. Entering the fourth quarter up by two, UC Davis solidified its lead by outscoring their opponent three to one. Creed finished with 11 saves while seniors Teddy Nicholson and Chris Richardson scored four and three goals respectively. The final victory will likely net them a No. 2 seed and first round bye in the WWPA Tournament on Nov. 22.

Graphic by Andrew Li

Photo by Anisa Bashiri