This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis Athletics from April 4 to 10

Women’s golf

Silverado Showdown Tournament at Napa (finished 9th of 18)

The Aggies took ninth place at the Silverado Showdown Tuesday, April 5 – the team’s best spring finish.

Senior Andrea Wong tied for seventh, recording her first top-10 finish of the season. Wong also ended the three day tournament with a 2-over par total with her personal best score for the season.

UC Davis will next compete in the Big West Championship at the University of Hawai’i from April 17 to 19.

Women’s lacrosse (5-5 overall, 3-2 conf.)

UC Davis vs. Cal (W, 7-5)

UC Davis at University of Oregon (L, 15 -3)

The Aggies improved their overall record 5-4 and 3-1 in conference on April 6. Senior attacker Ellie Delich snatched the game winning goal in the 45th minute of the match and pulled off a career high of five goals against the Golden Bears. Senior midfielders Courtney Neff and Mary Doyle each added goals, contributing to the Aggies’ 7-5 win.

Read a recap of UC Davis vs. Cal here.

UC Davis looked forward to add another win to their record in the conference match against University of Oregon, but suffered a devastating 15-3 loss. Delich, Neff and freshman midfielder Taylor Cuenin added the only points for the Aggies. The Ducks scored four goals in the first 10 minutes of the match and the Aggies just could not make up the deficit.  

The UC Davis lacrosse team heads to Stanford on April 17.

Softball (14-9 overall, 3-3 conf.)

UC Davis vs. Long Beach State (W, 4-1)

UC Davis vs. Long Beach State (L, 7-5)

UC Davis vs. Long Beach State (L, 3-0)

UC Davis opened the series against Long Beach State with a bang. The Aggies pulled off a 4-1 win after scoring three runs in the fifth inning. The Aggies then fell 7-5, 3-0 in the Sunday doubleheader against the 49ers.

The softball team will now head to Cal State Fullerton to play a three-game series over Picnic Day weekend.

Women’s tennis (9-9 overall, 2-4 conf.)

UC Davis vs. Stanislaus State (W, 7-0)

After winning last week’s match against Sonoma State, the Aggies looked to further improve their record. Juniors Alex Huie and Samantha Martino defeated Stanislaus State’s Analyssa Tallas and Lamella Belgica 6-2, stealing the doubles point for UC Davis. The Aggies had a successful day, winning all doubles and singles matchups.

The UC Davis women’s tennis team will host Nevada on April 15 at noon.

Women’s water polo (15-11 overall, 1-3 conf.)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (L, 7-6)

UC Davis at Cal State Northridge (W, 10-9)

UC Davis women’s water polo took on Santa Barbara in a tight match on April 9. The Aggies battled the Gauchos, managing to tie 6 times. Santa Barbara’s Lauren Martin sealed the Aggies’ fate after making a goal 81 seconds into the second sudden victory period. UC Davis centers, senior Allyson Hansen and sophomore Greta Kohlmoos added two points to the final 7-6 loss.  

The Aggies then faced Cal State Northridge the following day and snatched the win, 10-9. The women trailed Northridge 6-4 at halftime, but took the lead (10-7) in the fourth quarter. Hansen and Kohlmoos each contributed three goals for the Aggies’ 10-9 win. This is the first conference win for the Aggies.

The UC Davis women’s water polo team will finish their regular season next weekend. They will host UC Irvine on Saturday and Cal State Monterey Bay on Sunday at home to close their season.

Baseball (8-17 overall, 1-4 conf.)

UC Davis vs. San Francisco (W, 15-3)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (L, 6-5)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (L, 5-0)

UC Davis vs. Hawai’i (L, 7-2 )

The Aggies annihilated San Francisco 15-3 – a season high score – in a nonconference match on April 5. Senior designated hitter Cameron Olson had a stellar game, becoming UC Davis’ first player to hit for the cycle in the team’s division I duration. Cameron also added four RBI to the team’s win.

The Aggies began their first game against Hawai’i with an early lead, however, the Rainbow Warriors tied Davis in the 8th inning adding two runs. UC Davis senior right fielder Tanner Bily hit two and scored two points for the Aggies. The men ultimately fell 6-5 to Hawai’i on their first day of battle.

Game two was postponed until Sunday due to rain, forcing the teams to play a doubleheader. In the second game, three Aggies hit singles, but UC Davis could not recover from the Rainbow Warriors’ tricks and ultimately fell in the third game 7-2.

Hawai’i swept UC Davis 6-5, 5-0, and 7-2  –  the Aggies’ second series loss of the season.

The UC Davis baseball team travels to Cal State Fullerton on April 15 for a three-game series. ESPN3 will live-stream the opener on their website.

Track and Field

Mesa Classic

UC Davis Track and Field team traveled to Arizona to compete in the Mesa Classic. Freshmen sprinters Aspyn Walton and Mikaela Adolphus were both successful in the 200-meter dash. Walton finished with a time of 21.56, becoming the number eight all-time for the men’s team at UC Davis. Adolphus beat her personal record of 24.61 from the Hornet invitational last month with 24.41. Not only did her time land her in fourth place for the 200-meter dash, but she also managed to snag the number 6 spot all-time for the UC Davis women’s track team.

Sun Angel Classic

Freshman sprinter Natsumi McGee stole the spotlight at the Sun Angel Classic by completing the 100-meter dash in 12.04 seconds. Her name was also added to UC Davis’ all-time list, tying for eighth place with UC Davis’ Enjoli Smith, who ran the 100 meter in 1999. Senior mid distance runner Cody Nguyen also performed well by setting a personal best in the 800 with a time of 1:51.52, which secured him sixth place in the Classic.  

UC Davis at Chico State Twilight Invitational

The Aggies also took on Chico this past weekend. Senior distance runner Jordon Rushing and junior distance runner Austin Goins raced in the 1500 meter invitational race. Rushing placed second in 3:52.35, and Goins followed closely behind him to earn a time of 3.52.75, putting him in third place.

The Aggies will head to Southern California to compete at the  Mt. SAC relays and the Bryan Clay Invitational. They will return to UC Davis on April 15 to participate in the Woody Wilson Classic.