This week in sports

TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE
TIFFANY CHOI / AGGIE

UC Davis athletics from  April 11 to 17

Baseball (8-21)

UC Davis at CSU Fullerton (L, 10-0)

UC Davis at CSU Fullerton (L, 3-2)

UC Davis at CSU Fullerton (L, 13-3)

Facing off against Cal State Fullerton, redshirt left-handed pitcher Robert Garcia was charged with five earned runs on six hits, and the Aggies suffered the loss after six innings of pitching.

The next day, senior outfielder Cameron Olson hit two for four on the night his fifth multi-hit game of the year. Junior right-hander Justin Mullins suffered the loss after pitching relief for senior right-handed pitcher Spencer Henderson, who pitched 5.1 innings and allowed a pair of runs on five hits and had three strikeouts.

For the final game, redshirt sophomore outfielder Ryan Hooper hit his first career home run, but it didn’t help top the Titans from defeating the Aggies 13-3. Senior outfielder Tanner Bily hit two for four on the day, as did sophomore infielder Brad Pluschkell. Senior right handed pitcher Nat Hamby earned the loss after three innings where three earned runs came off of five hits.

The Aggies next play at St. Mary’s on April 19 at 3 p.m.  

Track and Field

Mt. SAC Relays at Cerritos College

Woody Wilson Classic

Long Beach Invitational

Both the men and women’s track and field team received two season best marks at the Mt. SAC Relays. In the 5,000 meter race, redshirt senior distance runner Trevor Halsted ran a 14:07.50 and senior distance runner Christine Hoffman ran a 16:48.72. Senior thrower Matthew Bender finished fifth with a score of 170-0, and freshman jumper Erinn Beattie finished fifth in high jump.

Over the weekend, UC Davis won four events at the Woody Wilson Classic. Junior decathlete Shane Ryan won the high jump while senior jumper Basil Okoroike won the triple jump. Freshman distance runner Katherine Gallaher won the 1500 with a time of 4:42.89.

Junior jumper Holly Tokar tied her best score for pole vault at Long Beach with a height of 13 feet, 25 inches to place fifteenth. Senior middle distance runner Cody Nguyen finished 18th in the 800 meter with a time of 1:51.34.

Men’s Golf

El Macero Classic

The Aggies placed third at the El Macero Classic, held from April 15 to 17. Freshman Ryan Knop shot a 3 under-69 while fellow teammate senior Luke Vivolo shot a 71 and tied for 7th place. Knop finished 18th overall while senior Patrick Soli tied for tenth place. The Aggies shot for a total score of 22-over 886.

Women’s Golf

Thanks to junior Paige Lee’s performance at the Big West Championship, UC Davis is currently in second place, right behind Cal Poly. Lee shot 1 under on her way to par-72. UC Davis is currently in a three way tie with UC Riverside and Long Beach State with a score of 20 over-308. They are just three shots back from current leader Cal Poly. Lee is in first place while fellow Aggies, seniors Betty Chen and Andrea Wong are in ninth and twelfth place, respectively.

Men’s Tennis (15-6)

UC Davis at UC Berkeley (L, 6-1)

UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (L, 6-1)

UC Davis at Cal Poly (L, 4-3)

The Aggies fell to UC Berkeley Golden Bears 6-1 on April 13. This snapped the men’s winning streak at 12 games, and was the Aggies’ first loss since January 30.

Two days later, UC Davis fell to UC Santa Barbara 6-1. Junior Alec Adamson won his match against Nathan Eshmade with scores of 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.  Senior Brett Bacharach and junior Bryce McKelvie fought hard by winning the second set to force a third set before losing.

On April 16, sophomore Tommy Lam came back after a loss in the first set to win the next and to tie the score with the Cal Poly Mustangs, 3-3. Junior Bryce McKelvie won the second set to tie the match against Josh Ortlip but was unable to win the final set, losing the match.

UC Davis next plays UC Irvine on April 23 for the final home game of the season and will honor the graduating seniors at 11 a.m.

Softball (14-22)

UC Davis at Cal State Fullerton (L, 6-1)

UC Davis at Cal State Fullerton (L, 5-1)

UC Davis at Cal State Fullerton (L 8-2)

Cal State Fullerton scored in the first inning, taking advantage of an error early on, but the Aggies responded by scoring in the second to tie the game. The Titans were able to pull away with a four run sixth inning to win the game 6-1. Junior outfielder Brianna Warner drove in the Aggie’s only run with a single to the left side of the field.

In the second game of the series, senior starting right handed pitcher Justine Vela pitched 4.2 innings and only gave up two hits and one run in the first game. Cal State Fullerton scored three runs in the sixth inning, bringing their lead to 5-1 and winning the game yet again.

To wrap up the weekend, the Titans had a 1-0 lead before the Aggies scored in the second to tie the game. Cal State Fullerton came back to score two in the bottom of the second and then three more in the third to defeat the Aggies 8-2. Junior outfielder Brianna Warner stole another two bases throughout the double header, bringing her total to 34 for 34 on the season.

UC Davis next faces UC Riverside on April 23 at 1 p.m. at the La Rue Softball field.

Women’s Tennis (10-9)

UC Davis vs. Nevada (W, 5-2)

UC Davis won against Nevada on April 15, bringing their count to four straight wins. Sophomore Jessie Lee won a hard comeback match against Adriana Gergeloya 6-3, 3-6, 7-5. Senior Tiffany Pham scored the winning point for the Aggies with a win over Blaga Delic with scores of 6-2, 6-3.

UC Davis plays against CSUN on April 23 at 12:30 p.m. at the Marya Welch Tennis Center.

Women’s Water Polo (17-11)

UC Davis vs. UC Irvine (W, 6-4)

UC Davis vs. Cal State Monterey Bay (W, 18-1)

Six UC Davis players scored goals in the win over UC Irvine on April 16.  Senior goalkeeper Haley Cameron had 10 saves while junior utility Hannah Harvey scored the tiebreaking goal and drew a foul to help secure the win. Junior center Carla Tocchini scored the winning goal on a penalty shot after Harvey was fouled.

Read a recap by Veronica Vargo here.

A day later, senior center Allyson Hansen and sophomore center Greta Kohlmoos both scored hat tricks in the Aggies’ win over Cal State Monterey Bay.  Junior goalkeeper Olivia Husted had eight saves and no goals in the first half. The one goal allowed in this game is the fewest allowed by the Aggies since last season when UC Davis faced Sonoma State.

UC Davis will next play in the Big West Conference in Santa Barbara on April 29 against a to be announced opponent.