Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Campus Judicial Reports

Struggling student

A professor noticed that two students turned in nearly identical papers for the same class, and referred both of them to SJA. The students were good friends and one of them was struggling on a paper. The friend of the struggling student sent the paper to his friend in order to provide assistance. The struggling student proceeded to copy entire sections of the paper received by e-mail, without informing his friend. After meeting with a Judicial Officer, the student took full responsibility for the violation. He agreed to a sanction of disciplinary probation in addition to 20 hours of community service for violating University plagiarism policies. The friend of the struggling student received no sanction.

Two forms of stealing

In a separate case of plagiarism, a student was referred to SJA for taking an article off of a free essays website and using it as a template for her paper. The article was nearly identical to her paper, minus a few minor changes in wording. The student failed to give any credit to the original author of the article. In a prior offense, the student had stolen over $200 worth of merchandise from the UC Davis Bookstore. As a result of having committed a prior offense and being found in violation for plagiarism, the student was suspended from the university for a quarter.

The Campus Judicial Report is compiled by student members of the Campus Judicial Board. Additional information about SJA and the Campus Judicial Board may be found at sja.ucdavis.edu.